cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multistreaming

chrislogo
Level 5
If i am specifying ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES with multiple data streaming enable ,one tape drive is avaliable in the storage unit Media multiplexing is schedule to 5 ,how many data stream will be running or queaued in this case,Will it be 1 stream as we have only one drive?
9 REPLIES 9

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified
Depends on the multi-plexing level set on the schedule in the policy.

chrislogo
Level 5
Multiplexing scheduled is set to 5 as i mentioned above,but we have only 1 tape drive

sdo
...in which case you should be okay.  If the storage unit has multi-plexing of 5, and the policies have multi-plexing of 5 then you should have 5 concurrent streams from a policy/schedule/client that queues five backup streams.  Assuming of course that you are not using different retention levels from different schedules in different policies, unless you allow mixed retentions (which itself is not usually recommended).

chrislogo
Level 5

okay let me write whole question for you to be more clear

Given the following scenario about a policy with a single client:allow multiple data streams is enable.ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES is specified.One tape drive avaliable in the storage unit.MPX for the storage unit is set to the default value.Max Job Per Client is set to 5.Media multiplexing in the schedule is set to 5.The client specified has 5 local files systems with no excluding list.How many backup jobs will be active(versus queaued) after the policy successfully initiated?

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

@chrislogo wrote:

MPX for the storage unit is set to the default value.

What's the default?

All things being equal & no other jobs running then from the info you've supplied I think we can say that you will have 5 streams from this client running at once.

If the file systems that you state are 'physical' drives (eg: C, D, E etc) then you may have ONE q'd job if it is a Windows (e.g. 2K,2K3,XP) client, as NB will also run a stream for 'System State' or Shadow Copy Components'.

sdo

Chrislogo - be aware that individual active stream counts can be managed/limited on a per client basis in...

Host Properties / Master Server Properties / Client Attributes (tab).

i.e. you may well allow multi-plexing of 5 in yourstorage units and schedules, but if the client attributes are configured, for example, to a maximum of 2 streams, then only 2 streams will go active for that particular client even though the storage unit and schedule(s) allow more.

chrislogo
Level 5
okay i got your point

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
Smiley Wink

Stumpr2
Level 6
There also is a throttle on every schedule in the policy for multiplexing