cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NB_ORA_6.5.6 README, what it mean?

kkhoo
Level 5

Hello gurus,

I would like execute update NB_ORA_6.5.6 in one of my unix client.

But READ ME says..

2) Log in as the Oracle user and shut down all Oracle instances. (Recommended)

Does it mean "DB DOWNTIME"??

Please advise, thanks.

4 REPLIES 4

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Tech note:

Is it necessary to shutdown Oracle when upgrading third-party backup software such as the NetBackup for Oracle extension?

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH158276

It's time you bite the bullet and ask Veritas if they have a 6.5 Installation CD with Oracle agent included. 

Its very likley you will require down time. Its all up to the Netbackup and Oracle version in use.

kkhoo
Level 5

Hi Nicolai, thanks for your reply. Currently, only NBU client is installed. No oracle agent.

Am I right to say that shutdown oracle applies only when there is existing oracle agent that has to be upgraded?

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

No - all oracle 8,9 need to be stopped when upgrading the Netbackup client. This is  becasue Oracle read the libobk media manger library into the running kernel.

From NBU 6.5.6 and Oracle 9 ( or was it Oracle 10), libok is a link Oracle read dynamic during backup operation. Please see the previous link provided.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Especially in your case where the backup was done by another vendor, the backup library must now be pointed to NBU.

Oracle versions prior to 8.1.7 needed to have 'make' command executed to incorporate libobk into the oracle binary, but later Oracle versions only need a symbolic link.

Did you manage to locate your NBu 6.5 Documentaion cd/dvd?

It is all explained in NetBackup_AdminGuide_Oracle_Unix.pdf.