cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBU 6.0 MP4 How to correctly decommission a Media Server

kimleong
Level 4
Hi all,

I'm trying to decommission an NBU 6.0 MP4 media server running on HP-UX 11.23 ( the master server is on HP-UX 11.11). According to the manual, one of the steps says :

"Remove the NetBackup databases by running the following command (this removes the databases even if they have been moved from their default locations): /usr/openv/db/bin/create_nbdb -drop_only"

I've been trying to find more information about this command but I can't find anything in the Internet nor NBU manuals. Am I supposed to run this command on the media server which I want to decommission? Would this command go to the Master Server and drop my NBU database?

I tried to do a test in another environment, and when I run this command - I got this error:

# /usr/openv/db/bin/create_nbdb -drop_only
Database server is VERITAS_NB_<master_server>
Ping server failed -- Database server not found.
Database server [VERITAS_NB_<master_server>] not available.
NetBackup database does not exist.

The above could be because I didn't add in SERVER=<media server to decom> in the master servers' bp.conf?

Has anyone had experience running this command and/or decommissioning an NBU 6.0 media server?

Appreciate any replies. Thanks!

Message Edited by kimleong on 09-03-2007 05:20 PM
5 REPLIES 5

Stumpr2
Level 6

There is a section in the "NetBackup System Administrator's Guide for UNIX, Volume 1" starting at page 540.

The NetBackup database, NBDB, and its associated files, is created on the master server by default. For performance reasons, NBDB can be moved to another host. NBDB must always be on the same host as the EMM server. Also, the NBDB database files can be moved from their default location in /usr/openv/db/data. (See "Moving NBDB Database Files After Installation" on page 549.)

It also mentions a server.conf and a databases.conf files

Message Edited by Bob Stump on 09-03-2007 09:06 AM

Stumpr2
Level 6
The "NetBackup Commands for UNIX and Linux" has information starting at page 346

This command is used to create the NetBackup database (NBDB) manually. This command can be used to drop the existing NBDB database, and to recreate it using non-default parameters that were used during installation. A user can change the default location of the data, index, and transaction log files; change the size of the pre-allocated database files; and add an additional mirrored transaction log for increased database protection.

OPTIONS

The create_nbdb command, without any options, verifies the version of an existing database and is used during upgrades. If a database does not exist, it creates it using default parameters.

-drop

This option is used to drop the existing NBDB database.

-sz small | medium | large

This option changes the size of the pre-allocated database files. The default size used during installation is small.

-data data_directory

Used to identify the directory of the main database files.

-dba new_password

Sets the password for the NBDB and BMRDB databases for all DBA and application accounts. The default password used during installation is nbusql. To only change the password for an existing database, use nbdb_admin -dba new_password.

-index index_directory

Used to identify the directory of the index database files.

-mlog log_mirror_directory

Used to create a mirrored log for increased database protection.

-tlog log_directory

Identifies the location of the transaction log.

kimleong
Level 4
Hi Bob,

Thanks for the information. From the description given, it would seem that I should NOT run the command unless I want to decommission my Master Server, right?

Thanks.

Stumpr2
Level 6
Yeah. I think you are right. The documentation is VERY much wanting.....
But I think you would only need to do this either on the master server or on a server that is hosting the database. Sorry, I can't help more but the documenttion just doesn't seem to exist and what does exist is POORLY written.

MattS
Level 6

I know this topic was posted almost a year ago but i like to update these unanswered questions for any google searches :).

To properly decommission you want to look in the Media Manager System Administrator's guide.

This document has all the links you will need:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/289139.htm