cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBU 6.0 media server recovery

Michael_Rae
Level 3

Hi,

Is there anythin special that needs to be done to recover a media server after failure?

Really i am interested in if media servers have any catalogue information seperate to the master servers, and if so how to go about restoring this from a hot catalogue backup.

The reason i ask is that in the past i have had issues with the media database after not decommisioning a media server correctly and want to avoid these problems in the event of failure. Specifically tapes would be assigned to a media server that no loger exists, and trying to assign the media to a new server would fail because the original server could not be contacted.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hi Michael,

At Netbackup 6.x, the media server does not have it's own database. There may be a few "dummy" files knocking around that make it look that way, but all the media info is in the EMM database.

In terms of a failure, it would be expected that the server is repaired.  Once so, things should be back to normal.

Really, at 6.x a media server is really a glorified client.

Martin

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Stumpr2
Level 6

DOCUMENTATION: What is the process for decommissioning a NetBackup 6.0 media server?

http://support.veritas.com/docs/289139

Michael_Rae
Level 3

Sorry, i should have made my question a little clearer.

I am aware of the procedure to decommision an active media server, im interested in what the procedure would be if the media server failed before you got chance to decommission it.

Ideally i would like to be able to just build another media server and not have to worry about restoring any catalogue/database information, but i think i would run in to the same problems i mentioned in the first post.

Regards

Michael_Rae
Level 3

Looking into it further it does seem that a media server has its own media database.

Is this included in calalogue backups or would you rely on standar file system backups to recover it?

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hi Michael,

At Netbackup 6.x, the media server does not have it's own database. There may be a few "dummy" files knocking around that make it look that way, but all the media info is in the EMM database.

In terms of a failure, it would be expected that the server is repaired.  Once so, things should be back to normal.

Really, at 6.x a media server is really a glorified client.

Martin

Michael_Rae
Level 3
Thats great, just what i was after.