Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBU 6.5.1 Catalog Backup size is incraesing day to day

Servet
Level 4
Partner

Hi All,

We have upgraded the our NBU enviroment from 6.0MP6 to 6.5.1 in August. After NBU upgrade, NBU 6.5.1 Catalog Backup size is incraesing day to day. 1st size was about 285 GB, now it is abou 338 GB.

Does anobody know that, is there any 'Best Practice' OR like that something for Catlog Backup??

Thanks

Servet

5 REPLIES 5

NBU_TSE
Level 4
Employee

Hi,

The catalog can increase as your backups grow with time. Policy Retention levels set when images will expire. The biggest part will be the backup images in \netbackup\db\images. Do not delete these manually otherwise this will cause database inconsistencies. You can manually expire through the NetBackup Admin Console > Catalog. I would suggest you only expire the oldest images if you require disk space.

The other thing to look for is the NetBackup logs. These can grow if the logging is set high.

For more Catalog Considerations, I would suggest you take a look at the NetBackup Admin Guide:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/290203

Chapter 6 - NetBackup Catalog

Page 342 - Catalog maintenance and performance optimization

Hope thies helps

Best Regards

Gary Yeardley (NetBackup Database Support Engineer)

Servet
Level 4
Partner

Hi Gary,

First of all thanks a lot for your reply.

Yes, you are right, we can fix this issue by deleting old images and determining the logs files. But this solution is not what we are looking for. Before upgrade and after upgrade, almost everything is equal. It sholudn't increase like this, it is so fast.

Regards.

Servet

NBU_TSE
Level 4
Employee

Hi,

NetBackup 6.5 introduces a new feature called Storage Lifecycle policies. If you are using this, then the images could be duplicated and causing the size of the Catalog to be larger than it was in NBU 6.0.

Do you know if if is the image folder specifically that has grown or any other folder within NetBackup?

Thanks

Gary

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Did you change from a Windows master to a Unix master?  Maybe Unix based catalogs are inherently larger?  Can anyone comment on this?

If your master has always been, and still is, on Windows, then did the upgrade to v6.5.x remove any "compress after N days" set in your master server attributes?  Maybe your catalog is no longer being compressed after N days.  i.e. maybe there's a bug in the upgrade that doesn't honour/maintain the "compress after N days" setting?

Did you recently implement multi-plexing where there was no multi-plexing at all before?  If so, your catalog will have many many more fragments to keep track off, and will be quite a bit larger.

If you did already have some multi-plexing, have you recently increased the multi-plexing?  If so, you might not necessarily have many many more fragments to keep track of, BUT there will very likely be "some" more fragments to keep track of, and thus a larger catalog to some degree.

Did your upgrade over-write any special retention levels?  I.e. default NetBackup has retention values pre-set for levels 1 to 9, and 10 to 24 are, by default, infinite.  BUT, I'm wondering if you had some special retention levels set in the 10 to 24 range, that have since been overwritten by the upgrade and are now inifinite - and thus schedules still using those retention levels 10 to 24 are no longer creating backups that will expire?

Also, wondering if you have checked the retention levels on all schedules in all policies to confirm that they are as you expect them to be.

Finally, you may be affected by this:

BUG REPORT: Using catalog compression will result in backup images not being properly removed from the netbackup/db/images directory.

...see tech note here:

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/283306.htm 

...which itself was found in the 30 day digest for NetBackup Enterprise Server, here:

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/NBUESVR_digest.htm

Servet
Level 4
Partner

Hi Gary and Sdw303,

As you advised me, 'Catalog maintenance and performance optimization’  section is really good. Due to section, Compressing and uncompressing the image catalog is available for us. We are gonna try this solution.

Sdw303, OS is not changed. It is Sol10 on SUN M5000 device. I will just try compressing as a solution. Our enviroment is 6.5.1. And the BUG report that you have sent me, announced for 6.5.2, not for for 6.5.1.

And there are no special retentions and multiplexing..

Manyy thanks for assitance guys. I'll let you know what will happen.

Regards.

Servet