cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBU 6.5.1 - DC restored, can not join other servers and workstations

cfreiling
Level 4

The restore of the domain seems to be inorder. Before the initial boot into windows, after post, I pressed F8 to boot into Directory services mode and performed the authoritative restore and restore data, Allowed windows to boot normally and allowed NBU to complete the restore. Once the restore was complete I then imported the back-link ldf files, checked the rest of the server configuration, ip and such and rebooted again. Upon completion of the reboot, I was able to view Active Directory, Sites and services, I could add, modify and remove users, change passwords etc.. but I could not join a workstation or server to the domain. I would receive the following error: Cannot join a domain, domain not available after restore...

I've restored using Trueimage and it works fine, I can view Active Directory, Sites and services, I could add, modify and remove users, change passwords etc... and join and disjoin servers and workstations when restoring from True Image images. So I do not know what is different with NBU. Any thoughts...

4 REPLIES 4

michael_boehl
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Not sure if this is what you're looking for but it sounds similar.

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/278010.htm

cfreiling
Level 4
Hmm... Possible, I'll look into it but I selected ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES, Shadow Copy Components:\, NEW_STREAM, UNSET_ALL, UNSET. I even tried just ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES, Shadow Copy Components:\ and tried ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES.

Jonathan_Martin
Level 4

I've got two ideas.

1) Check that the FSMOs are available / seize them if necessary.

2) If you had more than one domain controller when you did the backup and your restored environment only has one you won't be able to add machines to the domain until at least two domain controllers "synch."  Alternately remove the other domain controllers from your restore configuration.

-Jonathan

cfreiling
Level 4

@Jonathan Martin

I thought something similar too, but I have been able to restore the same dc using Acronis True Image and join clients to the dc. The dc has been restored the same way when using NBU BMR and Acronis True Image. I've also gone through a few of the steps here, this includes the FMSO steps.