cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBU 6.5.1 with Exchange 2007 RSG

Donnal_Spence
Level 4
I have completed my first test backup of an IS in Exchange 2007. I work through creating the RSG per Microsoft articles and set NB to restore to original location. Based on the Admin guide for NB, I should leave this setting and Exchange will restore everything to the RSG as it did in 2003.  The database in the RSG is dismounted and when I veiw the cluster through Cluster admin, I that the RSG is offline. I am receiving the following error and cannot figure out where I am going wrong. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.

ERR - unable to create object for restore: Microsoft Information Store:\Storage Group\Database BEDS 0xE000FF00: Unable to restore some Microsoft Exchange components because one or more of the databases are currently mounted or because the Recovery Storage Group is not properly configured. Use the Exchange System Manager to check the configuration of the Recovery Stora)

unable to create object for restore: Microsoft Information Store:\Storage Group\Log files_1208872623 (BEDS 0xE000032F: The restore failed because a connection could not be made to the Microsoft Extensible Storage Engine (ESE) to load the restore environment.
Make sure that there are no other restore operations in process, and then try this operation again.

4 REPLIES 4

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
been there, done that.

I just spent a week trying to write instrucitons and figuring out how to do the 2007 restore.

(I do SG's not mailboxes).

1) my first problem was that there was some security issue in that I was not given access as an admin to exchange 2007.  ( I am a unix person, as well as the backup person) I had to ask the windows guys to figure out what was wrong.  But am not sure what it was.

2) this issue was obvious when I went to do the restore and the field was grayed out telling where to put the log files.

3) someone else had made the RSG and I could not get it to work.  So I deleted it and make the RSG myself.  This seemed to make a difference. 

4) I was told that you should do the restore from the Backup Arachive and Restore window on the exchange server.  Not sure why but I was told this works better.  But don't open it prior to makeing the RSG.  Again don't know why but I made the RSG after I opened it and I still did not have the access I needed.  Close it and opened it again and it worked.

I am now able to do restores to the RSG just fine. 
Only issue is that you cannot run Exmerge on a 2007 server.
but if you still have it on a 2003 server you can run it from there and choose the 2007 RSG to get your mail box.

We are still trying to work out the instructions for extracting to a pst just one mail box instead of having to do a merge.

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
Just to make sure you are telling it to restore to a differnt location and chaning Storage Group to Recovery Storage Group

Donnal_Spence
Level 4
Thanks for the information. That was the issue and once I enter Recovery Storage Group in the restore to field the restore completed. We had tried this before but fat fingered it. I received a phone call from Symantec support a few minutes after your post and they confirmed this is the corrective action for this issue and that it is a known bug in 6.5.1.

Thanks again for your help...

Jim-m
Level 5
Another unix person checking this out - we had no problems with recovery to same server and redirection to another using RSG.  This trail actually covers my next stage of testing/documenting what happens if the RSG ain't there etc...document what to expect on failure.  

You don't have to do the restore from the server, the desktop console to the master is OK.  I have seen this requirement in Lotus notes retore where there multiple unix notes user accounts on the same server ....that's another story