cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBU 6.5.4 Oracle database backup failing with error code 6

Luzuko
Not applicable
Hi,

I am currently expiriencing weekly database backup that is failing with error code 6 and and i checked the technote and ensured that the drives configurations are fine. Please see the logs below and assist me.

input datafile fno=00001 name=/app/oracle/oradata/uldbcen/system01.dbf

input datafile fno=00003 name=/app/oracle/oradata/uldbcen/sysaux01.dbf

input datafile fno=00002 name=/app/oracle/oradata/uldbcen/undotbs01.dbf

channel t2: starting piece 1 at 18-JAN-10

RMAN-03009: failure of backup command on t1 channel at 01/18/2010 10:16:20

ORA-19506: failed to create sequential file, name="dbhULDBNEW_t708600904_s4447_p1", parms=""

ORA-27028: skgfqcre: sbtbackup returned error

ORA-19511: Error received from media manager layer, error text:

VxBSACreateObject: Failed with error:

Server Status: extended error status has been encountered, check logs

channel t1 disabled, job failed on it will be run on another channel

released channel: t1

released channel: t2

RMAN-00571: ===========================================================

RMAN-00569: =============== ERROR MESSAGE STACK FOLLOWS ===============

RMAN-00571: ===========================================================

RMAN-03009: failure of backup command on t2 channel at 01/18/2010 10:16:20

ORA-19506: failed to create sequential file, name="dbhULDBNEW_t708600904_s4448_p1", parms=""

ORA-27028: skgfqcre: sbtbackup returned error

ORA-19511: Error received from media manager layer, error text:

VxBSACreateObject: Failed with error:

Server Status: extended error status has been encountered, check logs

Recovery Manager complete.

Mon Jan 18 10:16:21 SAST 2010 ----------------End of Script------------------

exit 1

6 REPLIES 6

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Please post dbclient log on client.

Sriram
Level 6
along with dbclient pls post bphdb logs as well. 

Stumpr2
Level 6
That error code 6...
It is just a generic error code telling you the backup failed and to investigate the logs that Marianne and Sriam requested.

Nick_Morris
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Certified
I usually got that kinda error with the "ORA-19506: failed to create sequential file, name" when i was either out of disk space on server/destination or out of tapes.

kfh
Level 3
Hi Luzuko,
I've been having the same issue with multiple-channel hot level 1 incremental backups also, and, so far the Symantec backline technical support has been unable to help.

The multiple-channel backup worked fine in a NB5.1.MP6 environment, but never worked in the NB6.5.4 environment.  The master server is RHEL 5.4 Linux running NB6.5.4 and the client and Oracle agent have been upgraded to NB6.5.4.  The hot level 1 incremental backup runs fine for a single channel, but not for multiple channels.  Both hot and cold level 0 multiple-channel backups work fine.  The script uses 3 channels.

I've been supplying Symantec's technical support verbose logs and results of truss on channel-allocation process id's since December.  They insist that something external to NetBackup is killing the idle sockets (only one of the 3 channels allocated actually stream data to the backup server).  A hot multiple-channel backup works fine when directed to a local disk on the client.  So it's not an issue of Oracle not being able to determine database changes.

Right now, symantec is pointing the finger at iptables on my master backup server, so I'm running a multi-channel hot level 1 incremental backup with iptables temporarily disabled.

Have you found a solution to your rman backup issues?

--kathy

David_McMullin
Level 6
When you install the oracle client, you need to make sure the oracle libraries link to the netbackup ones.

This is why you have to stop oracle when you update the NB client.

Did you recently install or upgrade the NetBackup oracle client? HAs this backup worked successfully in the past?