cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBU Catalog sizing with PDDO

nohup
Level 3
We are preparing to install NBU 7 with PDDO plugin on the Media Servers using PureDisk as the storage repository (yes I'm aware that v7 has built in dedupe, but we are on iSCSI which is not supported for Netbackup deduplication under v7).  From my understanding (feel free to correct me if this is wrong), when using PDDO, the dedupe fingerprints are now stored in the NBU catalog.  Without PDDO, the sizing per the docs for our catalog is 2-3% of my backup data.  Does anyone know if there is a formula, or what % to add for calculating the catalog size when using PDDO?

Thanks in advance :)
5 REPLIES 5

marekkedzierski
Level 6
Partner
hmmm... I could be mistaken but NB doesn't store dedupe fingerprints in catalog. Each file backed up with PDDO is treated as a normal file. Deduplication database is stored on puredisk server.

marekk

nohup
Level 3
Are you certain of this?  And if not, why post?

marekkedzierski
Level 6
Partner
... you can simply check performance and tuning guide for netbackup.. there is no information about pddo in "Calculate the size of your NetBackup catalog" section and I also didn't notice negative impact on catalog size during my nb & pd implementations...  but I could be mistaken :))

Where did you found info about 2-3% ??

nohup
Level 3
The 2-3% number was given to me by a Symantec "Distinguished Systems Engineer" - that's his title.  Getting this information is very frustrating as it seems anyone I talk to at Symantec gives me a different answer, and the documentation particularly for PDDO leaves a lot to be desired.  I just spoke with a PureDisk SME the other day.  I was asking him about the 100 million file limitiation for PureDisk when you have an all in one SPA/MBS/MBE as apposed to 140 if  you break off the MBE (according to PD documentation). He said this did not come into play when PureDisk was used as the store for Netbackup as that data was now kept in the Netbackup catalog.  I forgot to ask him about the effect this had on the catalog size(waiting to hear back on a follow up email) and posted here hoping I could get an answer sooner, but now I'm questioning if he was correct based on your experience... grrr!

Will_Restore
Level 6
there's academics (book knowledge) and then there's practical experience. 
and sometimes the two agree  ;^)