cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBU Client to Redhat 2.6.9-42 64 bit server

frances0827
Level 3

Hi Guys,

We have upgraded our Linux Redhat servers to kernel 2.6.9 64 bit, after that I could no longer install my NBU client in it.

The error is stating "not supported" since my NBU installer is only for RedHat2.4.

How can I install an NBU client to a Linux Redhat servers to kernel 2.6.9 64 bit?

Inputs please....

8 REPLIES 8

MattS
Level 6

Hmm, i had this issue recently.  With a RHEL5 client.  Our problem was that the Red Hat install was missing a lot of things like xinetd.

What is the output from your installation?

More importantly what version of netbackup are your installing?

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee

You need to download the correct software version, between 2.4 and 2.6 is some difference but the client still can handle the difference, but between 32bit and 64bit is just to much.

MattS
Level 6

I still use a netbackup 6.0GA release cd for our RHEL5 x86_64 servers.  The problem is that the client is 32bit and from what i remember a default RHEL5 install doesn't install some of the 32bit backwards compatible libraries.

BUT! Frances, your issue seems different because I've never had an install script stop and give the error your seeing. This is why we need to know what version NB client your installing.  I have a feeling your trying to install the NetBackup 6.0 Linux 64bit client which is only used for IA64 architecture (learned this the hard way, lol). So there is no 64bit x86 Linux client until 6.5.x.

Check out the compatibility lists for more details on what client to use.

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/303344.htm

frances0827
Level 3

Hi Guys,

Thank you for those who replied and my apologies on the incomplete details provided.

I am using NBU 6.5 server and need to install a NBU client to RHEL 4 client,

Linux 2.6.9-42.ELsmp #1 SMP x864 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

How do I install it? help.. help... :(

frances0827
Level 3

Hi MattS,

Thank you for providing the link to compatibility list.

-------------------

As per checking the compatibility list.... my machine isn't supported, I am using a 64 bit AMD server.....

:(

stu1
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified
X64 terminology is a simplified standard of saying both EMT64(from Intel) and AMD64(from AMD). So NBU 6.0 client does install into Redhat4 x86_x64. However, the binaries are compiled for 2.4 kernel; therefore you'll need to fire off the installer, and select Redhat2.4 client; which will install on Redhat 4 and 5 with 2.6.x kernels. If you have a lot of pain, just rename /usr/openv/ on the client, and re-install a new client of the CD... using what I mention. It should install without issues. then you can apply the patch... but be sure not to patch higher than your master server or media server(s). 2.6 option of the install are for IBM zseries, which is a completely from hardware architecture altogether. The 6.5 installer will give you options for Redhat2.6.

nmw
Level 3
I have a similar issue and cannot find any combination which will allow me to install a 6.5 client to a RedHat 4 64bit (AMD) client.

I'm attempting to upgrade our setup from 6.0 to 6.5. After I installed the 6.5 server software I wasn't able to connect to any of my 6.0 Linux clients. The connection failed every time. So I tried to upgrade the client software. On the 32bit RedHat 5 systems I've managed to upgrade them to the Linux/RedHat2.6 option. However, I cannot find any option which works on the 64bit (AMD) RedHat 4 system (running kernel 2.6.9).

Prevsiously the system was running the INTEL/RedHat2.4 client software. I am using the Administration GUI to change the client type, and have tried both Linux/RedHat2.4 and Linux/RedHat2.6. Neither works (I've even tried re-installing INTEL/RedHat 2.4 and that no longer works).

The output in the dialog box is the same regardless of the platform/OS chosen:
--------------------------------------------------------
04/07/2009 16:19:26
Installing software on ion...
Software installation on ion failed.
Software installation messages:
       ion ...
Client ion -- Linux hardware running RedHat2.4
Installing NetBackup software on ion

Detected an attempt to install incorrect platform and/or
operating system and version client binaries on ion.le.ac.uk.
       ion install failed

So, what platform/OS selection do I choose for RedHat 4 x86_64, given that Linux/RedHat2.4 also gives the above error output?

nmw
Level 3
Ok, I've found the problem.

The client in question was part of more than one Policy. It's necessary to update the client hardware/OS in every Policy, then the install/upgrade works.