cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NBU6.0 backup performance drop suddenly, and resume normal after reboot

calvintse
Level 2
Dear All,

I am new to using NBU6.0 in our site. And using SunOS 5.8 Generic_108528-29, we suffer a performance problem periodically. When we doing  backup for the same filesystem, sometimes the backup speed will drop from 15000KB/s to 1500KB/s. If we stop the backup and reboot the machine host. Then the problem can fixed. However, the problem show up again after few days later.

Any experts here can give us some comments?

We are suffering in this very much. Thanks for your concern to this problem.

Regards,
Calvin

4 REPLIES 4

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee
Maybe the troughput goes down because others backups are running at the same time over the same network and same tape drive, that definitly impact the performance, when u test this are all the backups running? or just this one? because I have see before that we make a test and everything looks fine, but during night is a mess and this is because normaly we are out of resources.

Let us know.
Regards

calvintse
Level 2
Hi,

I think that may not the case, as I can sure there is only one backup is doing during the backup time.

And performance can be fast and slow during the same period. But it can be fixed after reboot the host.

Thanks & Regards,
Calvin

Stumpr2
Level 6
Can you verify which Network card is being used?

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified
Slowdowns could be anywhere, and notoriously difficult to debug.  You might get lucky and find the root cause quickly, or it could be the last thign that you check.  What have you rulled out so far?
Client, network, media server, SAN, etc...
Maybe anti-virus or a defrag is running on the client?  Does the media server or client suddenly have long I/O wait queues, does the NIC spike on either, CPU spike on either, SAN spike from a data transfer elsewhere on the SAN?

Message Edited by sdw303 on 08-10-200705:41 PM