cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NC373i NICs do not allow for Bare Metal Restore

DAB
Level 3
Hi everyone, we have been trying unsuccessfully for the past few weeks to get Bare Metal working on our HP servers using the NC373i NICs.  We have read and followed the technote #302296, but this did not help us.  When we do get the server to see the NIC it starts the restore and stops at restoring the System State with an error code 23.  We have a case open, but again this does not seem to be going anywhere.  Does anyone have this working with these NICs?  We are running 6.5.2 on Windows 2003 (waiting for the patch for this as well to fix our scheduling issues).  Thanks,
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

DAB
Level 3
The technote I quoted actually worked once I reviewed it very carefully.  If you follow the steps exactly as stated it should work for the NC373i.  Hope it works for you.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Nick_Morris
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Certified

I remember having this in 6.5.1 and overcame the restore problem with the technote you have listed. It errored on the BMR backup but providing your SRT had removed those inf files prior to creating the ISO image it worked fine (Are you booting from CD or have you got PXE working?). Incidentally since i upgraded to 6.5.2 i have not had the error since. Maybe my environment performed some miracle and it should still be erroring, but it is now fixed for me. Probably not much help to you as you are getting these errors. I'm guessing the same media server is still there that did the backup and perfect network connectivity? I feel your frustration with open cases not going anywhere. In that situation myself too.

RobFraser
Level 2

I am getting exactly the same problem. Did you manage to find a resolution to this one?

Thanks

Rob

DAB
Level 3
The technote I quoted actually worked once I reviewed it very carefully.  If you follow the steps exactly as stated it should work for the NC373i.  Hope it works for you.

RobFraser
Level 2

It seems I am getting a slightly different issue in the sense that I am getting an error when I try and do the backup using BMR.

Error bpbrm(pid=3984) BMRERR: Received BMR error: The driver for HP NC373i Virtual Bus Device is not compatible with Windows PE. You may need to create a driver package that is Windows PE compatible to restore this system using Bare Metal Restore. (1)

Do you know if you were getting this issue as well?

Thanks

Rob

DAB
Level 3

I think this error went away when we went to 6.5.2, if you are still getting it, try to complete all the steps in the technote, then maybe update the packages with the latest driver from HP.  Then try another backup.

8va
Not applicable

DAB,

I'm having the same issue you describe. I went to the technote you cited 302296 in your posting, but it seems unrelated to the problem (something about an "EMM reason string"?).

After some further research, I think the article you meant to cite was 302696. Is that correct?

http://support.veritas.com/docs/302696

Thanks -