cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NDMP Backup of EMC Celerra File Server.T.6.0.70.4 with WildCard Selection Streams

punbs
Level 4
Certified

Hi Guys,

Got a update that Symantec Supports a NDMP WildCards Selection from 7.6.*.* Onwards,

Currently i am running with NB Master & Media Servers with versiobn 7.6.0.4.

I am trying to Configure my EMC Celerra File Server.T.6.0.70.4 NAS Box NDMP Backup with Wild Card Selection.But its getting failed with Error: ndmpagent(pid=xx) readAllFSFromPath: Subvolume wildcard not supported for this filer  

Then i went back to Admin Guide to check whether it will suppport or not for EMC Boxes. I saw that,

Note: Directory-level expansion is not supported for some NDMP servers. Some
NDMP filer vendors do not have the APIs that Symantec uses to support wildcard
characters lower than the volume level.

My concern is whether NetBackup will support only NetApp Filers for Wildcards and it wont support EMC Celerra File Servers FileSystem Backup with Wildcards Selections.

Please correct it & help to configure:

Rgds,

punbs

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

punbs
Level 4
Certified

Hi Guys,

I have tested the NDMP Backup of the NetApp Filers with wildcard selection. Backup got Completed Successfully. :)

ndmpsel-NetApp.png

And Even i got the details from the EMC Storage Admin Guide that EMC Boxes will not Support WildCards for the Backup Selection.

Problem with EMC Box only.. :( 

180px_ndmpsel-NetApp.png

View solution in original post

punbs
Level 4
Certified
7 REPLIES 7

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

If you look in http://www.symantec.com/business/support/library/BUSINESS/xCL/TECH76495/nbu_7x_hcl.html#ndmp_devices

I only see the wildcard feature mentioned with NetApp, not EMC (or any other vendor)

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Wildcards are supported for exclude list, but that is not what you are looking for 

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH64115

punbs
Level 4
Certified
Thanks Nicolai and Riaan, Not Sure where the problem is with EMC or NetBackup. Even I need to cross verify once again with celerra guide to conclude EMC NAS Box does not support wildcard entry for backup selections. If it really not supports, really EMC team has to make it. Unless it will impact the large Filers Backup within less directory structure. Rgds, punbs

punbs
Level 4
Certified
Thanks Nicolai and Riaan, Not Sure where the problem is with EMC or NetBackup. Even I need to cross verify once again with celerra guide to conclude EMC NAS Box does not support wildcard entry for backup selections. If it really not supports, really EMC team has to make it. Unless it will impact the large Filers Backup within less directory structure. Rgds, punbs

punbs
Level 4
Certified

Hi Guys,

I have tested the NDMP Backup of the NetApp Filers with wildcard selection. Backup got Completed Successfully. :)

ndmpsel-NetApp.png

And Even i got the details from the EMC Storage Admin Guide that EMC Boxes will not Support WildCards for the Backup Selection.

Problem with EMC Box only.. :( 

180px_ndmpsel-NetApp.png

punbs
Level 4
Certified

EMC Restric.png

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Thanks for sharing your observations