cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NDMP Drives detect

Jared_Swan
Level 3
Partner Accredited

I am having some problems adding some physical tape drives to our master server for NDMP backups. I was having some problems with these drives so i wanted to delete them from NBU and then re-add them. When i went to re-add them I found that NBU couldnt see them anymore.

Here is the details on my environment.

Master server: Unix Solaris 10/NBU 7.1

4 drives dedicated for NDMP backups. All controlled by the Master Server.

2 NetApp filers - each drive is multi-pathed to each of the filers

When I run tpautoconf -probe <filer1> and <filer 2> I see all the drives Im looking for. But when I run the Configure Storage Devices Wizard  get the 4 drives but the are only pathed to the Filer2. Not to both. If I select only filer2 when running the Wizard it completes very quickly. But if I include filer 1 it takes over 5 mins to complete. Like its timing out and then moving on. The funny part is that there is one legacy drive that is pathed solely to Filer1 that shows up fine in the Wizard. But the rest of the drives only show up on Filer 2. I would expect to see the 4 drives show up pathed to both filers.

I have worked with the the Storage team here who say that the zoning is all good. I believe them as when I run tpautoconf -probe filer1 i see the drives. I just dont seem them when I run the Wizard

Any suggestions? Could this be OS?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Jared_Swan
Level 3
Partner Accredited

I had our Storage guy restart the NDMP service on both filers and ran the Device Config Wizard again. This got me back all the drives and paths I was looking for!

Thank you all for your help

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You want to add the same drives in NBU for both filers? Do you have SSO license (Shared storage option) on the master and/or media server?

Jared_Swan
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Yes I so have SSO Licensing and it is installed on the master where I want this to run from. This was working (aside from the other errors I was getting before deleting the drives) but now just cant find these drives

I just now re-entered the NDMP password to each of the filers just to make sure. tpautoconf -verify filer1 and filer 2 was successful both before and after this. Just in case though I put the username in.

We recently upgraded from 6.5.6 to 7.1 and the NDMP backups were working

Jared_Swan
Level 3
Partner Accredited

I had our Storage guy restart the NDMP service on both filers and ran the Device Config Wizard again. This got me back all the drives and paths I was looking for!

Thank you all for your help