cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NDMP backup at qtree level using wildcard

bordio27
Level 4

Hello,

We have NetBackup 8.1.1, and we do backup of a NAS (NetApp - OnTap 9.3) at VOL level using wildcard.

Example of backup selection:

/SVM1/*

Example of jobs in activity monitor:

/SVM1/VOL1
/SVM1/VOL2

Some volumes, however, are very bigs, and we would like to have a job for every qtree.

So we tried a backup selection like:

/SVM1/VOL1/*

Unfortunately we got 99 error

According to Veritas, from Wildcard characters in backup selections for an NDMP policy

Currently, only NetApp filers support wildcard characters for backup selections lower than the volume level. This support is not available in NetApp clustered Data ONTAP version 8.2. To see the versions of NetApp Data ONTAP that support wildcard characters for backup selections lower than the volume level, refer to the NetBackup Master Compatibility List.

I cannot find anything in NetBackup Master Compatibility List about OnTap and wildcards

db

2 REPLIES 2

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You may want to use the red 'Feedback' tab on the right to request the correct URL and state on this page which Compatibility Guide exactly. 

The link that I have for NBU Master Compatibility List: https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000033647

The only compatibility list for NetApp versions that I am aware of is the HCL :  https://www.veritas.com/bin/support/docRepoServlet?bookId=NB_80_HCL&requestType=pdf

Look for this section: NDMP Devices - Vendor Compatibility

I see this in the Notes section on page 333:

Supports wildcard characters for backup selections lower than the volume level with all listed Data ONTAP versions except v8.0 through v8.2 (Cluster-mode).

I see that  Data ONTAP v9.3 is among the 'listed versions', so, should be supported. 

You may need to add some more characters if there are regular files in the top-level of the volumes. If so, this will apply:

You cannot use any wildcard characters that also match file names. For example, a backup selection might include /vol/vol_archive_01/autoit*. This specification might match a path name such as /vol/vol_archive_01/autoit_01/. However, if this specification also matches a file name like /vol/vol_archive_01/autoit-v1-setup.exe, the backup job fails with status code 99 because wildcards can specify only path names. The following message is displayed: NDMP backup failure (99).

If not applicable, probably good idea to log a Support call with both Veritas and NetApp. 
If it is supported, it means that both parties should've tested this.

You may need to add some more characters if there are regular files in the top-level of the volumes.

I ran the bplist command to see which files are backupped lower than the volume level, and there are only folder which name starts with "qtree_"

So I tried this backup selection:

/SVM1/VOL1/qtree_*

but I got the same error

I open a support case.

I will let you know

Thanks for now

db