cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NOM Database

bitgeek
Level 3
Has anyone successfully accessed the NOM database using PERL/SQL?  I know the NetBackup catalog/database is supposed to be off limits but the NOM database is supposedly accessible.
10 REPLIES 10

ahlip
Level 5
NOM uses a Sybase ASA database. So it should be acessable using some SQL/Query tool. Again, not sure whether there is value to spending this type of time/effort. I would rather run "bp*" commands in scripts to get and parse output NetBackup output.

bitgeek
Level 3
Thanks for the input.  I'm already using some of the 'bp' commands but I'm looking for information in the activity log and can't find any 'bp' commands to use.  I guess the consolidated logging utility is the way to go but it is so slow.

Stumpr2
Level 6
I am starting to have little confidence in the bp commands. I used bpgp and bpdir to manage exclude lists. They are no longer available in version 6.5

Also look for the command names to change from backup plus (bp) to netbackup (nb) naming convention.

In the meantime, post what it is you are trying to extract from Netbackup and perhaps someone in the forum already has a script or reporting tool that can be altered to meet your requirements. Search this forum and you may find your needs lready posted. Smiley Wink

ahlip
Level 5
Hi,

To grab stuff from Activity Monitor, use the command "bpdbjobs". It lets you get the information on jobs (completed, running, failed) from Activity Monitor and even generate summaries etc.

bitgeek
Level 3
Thanks for the suggestions.  I've done some digging into some of those commands.  I'll have to dig deeper.

Stumpr2
Level 6
also bperror

bitgeek
Level 3
Yes.  I've used bperror too.  My thinking regarding the SQL approach is that I get different data from the various 'bp' commands but using SQL allows me to customize the report.

Stumpr2
Level 6
yes, that will eliminate a lot of sed, grep and awk Smiley Happy

Jim-m
Level 5
I like the eliminationation of sec and awk - now that I'm forced to use windows (without cygwyn or unix services)

With SQL you should be able to get into the tables and figure how the DB is strucutured and take from there  I'm surpised that  nobody  hasn't takled that path yet.  We did that some time ago with Control-M (batch scheduler) it has/used to  sysbase in its  innards.

bitgeek
Level 3
I'm looking to do that as time permits.