Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to migrate DB2 online backup & archive to a different Master server

imashu
Level 4
Certified

Hello,

My master is on LINUX with NBU Version 7.5.0.6.

We need to migrate DB2 online backup & archive to a different Master server now. The client is AIX5

Could you please let me know how to do the needful? Where and what changes we need to make in the script etc.

I don't need to configure from scratch. Just need to run these DB2 Online & Archive backup on a different master server.

Please help !!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified
Hello,

1) Make sure new master server and Media serves are communicating with the DB2 client.
2) add the new master server and Media server  names in bp.conf of the client.
3) update the master server name in the DB2 script if its specified.
4) create a backup policy in the new master server as specified in the script.
-----
make a decission on backup images how you want to handle those..
1) you can leave them in old master server and point to old master server when ever restore needed

or

2) move the image catalog for the backups to new master server ( by import or recovery without omport methods)

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified
Hello,

1) Make sure new master server and Media serves are communicating with the DB2 client.
2) add the new master server and Media server  names in bp.conf of the client.
3) update the master server name in the DB2 script if its specified.
4) create a backup policy in the new master server as specified in the script.
-----
make a decission on backup images how you want to handle those..
1) you can leave them in old master server and point to old master server when ever restore needed

or

2) move the image catalog for the backups to new master server ( by import or recovery without omport methods)

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

In addition to Nagalla's excellent post - ensure that new master is first SERVER entry in Client's bp.conf.

Once policy is created and hosts entries have been updated, clear NBU host cache on new master:

bpclntcmd -clear_host_cache

Ensure bprd log folder exists on new master to troubleshoot possible initial comms issues. 
If log folder does does exist, create it and restart NBU on new master.

Issue 'bpclntcmd -pn' on client to test comms with master server.

If command appears to hang and eventually exists without any output, it means that there is something wrong as far as client -> master -> client comms is concerned.
Check master's bprd log file to see if client connection request was received and if master was able to resolve client's IP to hostname that appears in Policy.

imashu
Level 4
Certified

Thanks Nagalla & Marianne !!

I have noted them and will implement tommorow. Will let you know incase of any issues.

imashu
Level 4
Certified

Hello Nagall & Marinne,

Many Thanks for your suggestion !! All DB2 backup worked fine and tested successfully.

But i am facing issue with an oracle backup which is failing with error code 48 (client hostname could not be found).

I tried migrating the oracle backup from old to new media server.

Followed the same steps but it's failing. Initially with 58 and now with 48.

Not sure

Please help !!