Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Net backup for SharePoint 2013

MiRzA
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hello NBU gurus,

I am configuring NBU for sharepoint 2013 and following the document for sharepoint , we have a client with 6 front end sharepoint web servers and two sql backends along with four application servers two having search services installed and two with Centeral admin so the list is as follows:

AS1    Centeral admin
AS2    Centeral admin search server
AS3    search servers
AS4    search servers

WB-01 Frontend servers
WB-02 Frontend servers
WB-03 Frontend servers
WB-04 Frontend servers
WB-05 Frontend servers

WB-05 Frontend servers

and two sql servers clustered for databases

we need to configure GRT and Farm level backup of the following farm:

as per document says

Only add the client that is the front-end web server and that runs the Central Administration Service to the policy list. here i am confuse about how to add the client and which client to be added to the policy for complete backup/GRT 

as centeral admin is not on front end and it is application server. please guide 

also do we need only one client to be part of the policy or we need multiple front end servers to be part of the policy.

1 REPLY 1

Michal_Mikulik1
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

in a NetBackup Sharepoint policy (either farm or granular), only one client for a farm is enough. Yes it is usually "front-end web server". Actually in my installations I did not take care about "central admin" server and where it runs. Generally, the policy client should be a farm server which "knows" farm topology. So what I'd tested in your situation:

- run a policy with front-end web server as a client

- run a policy with central admin server as a client

Check/compare results, especially if resulting backups contain all expected data/metadata from all farm servers. Start with farm-based backups, they are simpler for config then granular backups.

You can also check this config question with NBU support.

Regards

Michal