cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup 6.5 - LiveUpdate problems

Thomas_Olsen
Level 4
Hi All

I am running NB 6.5 Enterprise Server (on a Windows 2003 Server) and have been looking at using NetBackup LiveUpdate to install the newly released 6.5.1 update.
I followed the installation guide to configure LiveUpdate:
- created a file share on my backup server and extracted the content of 6.5.1 to the root of this file share
- configured all clients with the LiveUpdate agent to look for updates at the mentioned file share

I manually updated my master server to 6.5.1 and added one client to the LiveUpdate policy, but it didn't work out when I ran the LiveUpdate policy.
The job exited with status 77 which did't say much.

Here is the complete output from the job:
1/4/2008 11:19:12 AM - requesting resource <my master backup server>.NBU_POLICY.MAXJOBS.NB_LiveUpdate
1/4/2008 11:19:12 AM - granted resource <my master backup server>.NBU_POLICY.MAXJOBS.NB_LiveUpdate
1/4/2008 11:19:12 AM - started process RUNCMD (5380)
1/4/2008 11:19:23 AM - Error nbliveup(pid=2180) Error executing "C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\LUALL.EXE" -s -h "C:\Program Files\VERITAS\NetBackup\LiveUpdateHost.hst", stopping update.  
1/4/2008 11:19:23 AM - Info nbliveup(pid=2180) Start of the pack summary file:      
1/4/2008 11:19:23 AM - Info nbliveup(pid=2180) (05/11/06 15:42:12) Installed VERITAS NetBackup 6.0 Maintenance Pack 2 (NB_60_2_M)  
1/4/2008 11:19:23 AM - Info nbliveup(pid=2180) (02/24/07 16:13:42) Installed VERITAS NetBackup 6.0 Maintenance Pack 4 (NB_60_4_M)  
1/4/2008 11:19:23 AM - Info nbliveup(pid=2180) End of the pack summary file:      
1/4/2008 11:19:27 AM - Info nbliveup(pid=2180) EXIT STATUS 77         
execution of the specified system command returned a nonzero status(77)

I am not sure why it mentions NetBackup 6.0 MPs as the client I am trying to install this update to is a 6.5 client (it is upgraded from 6.0, but definitely running 6.5)

Has anyone tried this LiveUpdate feature yet?

Some help is greatly appreciated.

/Thomas
8 REPLIES 8

Thomas_Olsen
Level 4
After a little more of searching, I found this article:

It states that using the LAN option (with a UNC path) is not supported at this point.
Either use a UNIX file share or HTTP (or enable NULL share on Windows) are the supported options.

/Thomas

Thomas_Olsen
Level 4
Well....

So I created a web site internally for Netbackup LiveUpdate and changed the NetBackup LiveUpdate configuration on one of the clients.

However, wen I run the policy from the master server, it still gives me the same 77 exit code as before.

I could really need some help with this one.

Thanks.

/Thomas

nox
Level 4
Did you change the server settings as well? via LU_install.bat

Infoniqa-webch
Level 3
Partner
Hi

In my point of view, LiveUpdate is unsuable at the moment. You need special Patch Packages from Symantec, but no one knows where they are available! We investigated one day to get this working, no chance. We had to manually create logfile directories to get it working properly until we saw then in the logs, that the requested files (Patch packages) where missing...

I never saw a so bad implementation of a new feature. Nothing is documented and tested...

Regards Chris...

Thomas_Olsen
Level 4
Hi Chris

Thanks a lot for the feedback.
You confirm what I already suspected with regards to having a special patch package to be able to get this working.

Until Symantec do a more thorough job (including documentation) with this feature, I will continue doing the installations manually.

Thanks again.

/Thomas

nox
Level 4
I suspected the same thing but was still hoping they wouldn't put out something with such bad documentation and such. This is the response from support after the 200 logs and such they made me go through.

"Currently there hasn't been any updates released that can be distributed by live update. The normal patch install's cannot be used with live update. Testing is in the final phase but we don't have a date on the release. Once they have gone through and passed all testing they will be released to be used with Live Update."

Thomas_Olsen
Level 4
Thanks for the second confirmation that, as yet LiveUpdate doesn't really work.

Once they release their first patch which can be distributed with LiveUpdate, I might give it a try.

/Thomas

MarkJH
Level 0

When using Microsoft IIs 6 for the LiveUpdate server, one must add a new mime type for .flg

Please refer to http://support.veritas.com/docs/297006

It took a while for me to hunt this down, but LiveUpdate is now working

Message Edited by MarkJH on 07-04-2008 12:48 PM