Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup & BackupExec mix

diego_marco
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hi all,

Suppose to have two backup environments, one with NetBackup6.0MP5, on a Windows2003 cluster, and other with BackupExec2010R2, also in a Windows system (but not clustered).

I have read that I can import BackupExec backups into NetBackup, so finally I have only NetBackup as backup/restore environment without loosing any of my backups.

Questions:

* Is there any faster way to do so? I mean, how can I pass all mi BackupExec environment to my NetBackup environment without importing all tapes... for example, importing the catalog will destroy the NetBackup actual catalog? Or can I append one to the other?

* Can I do the viceversa? Pass from NetBackup to BackupExec? I think I don't, becauso for importing BackupExec catalog to NetBackup you must contact with Symantec support, but... how about importing backups form BackupExec to NetBackup?

Thanks so much in advance!

Diego

5 REPLIES 5

RiaanBadenhorst
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

There is no quick way to do it, you have to import each tape and wait for the import to complete.

Please see this note for the limitation of the Backup Exec Tape reader in NetBackup.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH56544

diego_marco
Level 3
Partner Accredited

OK Riaan,

And what about importing backups from NetBackup to BackupExec? Is it possible in the same way?

Thank you for your answer,

diego

RiaanBadenhorst
Level 6

I've not heard about that being possible.

Can you describe the environment more, how many servers on NetBackup and BE, how many robots/libraries, what is the retention period for BE?

diego_marco
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Only one NBU master server, and one BE. One SL500 with one drive, but I don't know the retention period of backups.

Actually we can stay with NetBackup or BackupExec. I know I can import from BackupExec to NetBackup, but I can't find any TechNote referring to imports from NetBackup6.0MP5 to BackupExec2010R2.

Thanks,

diego

RiaanBadenhorst
Level 6

Well I was going to say you could just move all your clients to NetBackup, and keep the BE going (server stays online with a tape drive connected and the media available) until the last backup expires.

But that of course depends of the retention period on the BE tapes. If its very long (more than 6 months) you should rather import. Also look into getting more media if you're going to move to NetBackup as the BE media can't be used until its been imported (and expired).

Also, i'd upgrade the NetBackup to latest version as 6.0 is quite old, we're 5 days away from version 7.1. Version 6.0 was released in 2006.