cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup Cleint Linux Installation faling Security of Linux Server

Alanzkorner
Level 3

Hi,

We are starting to Implement NetBackup Cleint installation on Linux Servers. But it was found that after installation of  Netbackup Linux Client 7.0 on the redhat servers. The Netbackup server admin from NEtbackup 7.x admin interface can simply traverse any folders on the Linux Server. Before we used to share a folder as samba share from the Linux Server and give that path to be backup to BackupTeam using another software. But this setup is not possible with Netbackup as it needs cleint installation.   I feel this is a serious security concern as a compromise if happen on the Netbakcup Server can adversely affect all Linux Cleints having Netbakcup cleint installed . Does Symantec alteady have a solution to have only selected folders be available to NetBackup  Server Admin . Or to have netbackup linux cleint installation  can run as a specifc user other than root e.t.c ?

Regards,

Alan J

20 REPLIES 20

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Yes, mapped drives letter cannot be backed up, as mapped drives are linked to a user logon.
You need to be able to backup network data when no user is logged on.

For this reason, UNC path must be specified. I'm sure the share will be accessible via UNC path, right?
The logon account for NBU Client service must be changed to user with sufficient rights to the share.

As suggested in a previous post, my recommendation is to NFS mount the data on another Linux/Unix client where NBU software is installed. This will ensure that files and folders will be backed up with Unix file attributes instead of Windows.