cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup Console Crashes when opening Volume Pools

arlene
Level 2
When I try to look at the media in the Volume Pools the application crashes and I have to restart. I can never get past this point. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

AJ
8 REPLIES 8

Stumpr2
Level 6
ahh...6.0?

arlene
Level 2
Sorry, 5.0MP5

X_S
Level 4
we have 2 6.0mp4 masters and whenever we tried to open volumes, the console would just hang. we just noticed this a couple of days ago and we think it has something to do with NOM. when we stop NOM, the volume opens as it should.

Stumpr2
Level 6
Try running the command lines for pool information
vmpool
vmquery
....etc
look in the volmgr/bin for other commands and try them first with -help to see the usage

Surya_2
Level 4
Certified
Arlene,

Please provide the output of below command's

#vmpool -listall -b
#cat /usr/openv/java/auth.conf |grep -i  <your-user-name>

Surya,
NetBackup Engineer

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified
O/S version?

Assuming Windows, you could enable DrWatson and see if this is able to trap the crash event:
1) Start / Run / drwtsn32
2) In the "options" lined box, tick all except for "Dump Symbol Table"
3) Recreate the problem.

Then look in:
  C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Dr Watson
...for any crash or log files.

Also, you could look in the Windows Event Viewer and see if anything has been recorded:
1) Start / Run / eventwr.msc

HTH,
Regards, Dave.

arlene
Level 2
Thank you for all the suggestions. The OS is Windows Server 2003. There was no event recorded when the app crashed which was weird in itself. The resolution is even stranger. The original problem I was trying to resolve was a tape with a bad block that wouldn't write past a certain point in the backups. After expiring the tape in the Volume Pool in the application, the console application would continue to crash. Another admin replaced a drive on the server and since then the application is working fine. Could have been a combination of things hardware wise that prohibited the application from accessing the Volume Pools on that bad hard drive despite seeing any errors. I was able to switch tapes and the application seems fine. Thanks again.

Stumpr2
Level 6
Well, Thanks for the update.