cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup Remote Admin

Randy_Samora
Level 6
Windows environment and NBU 5.1 MP5. I got into the habit years ago of terminal servicing into the Master and handling all of my administration through that connection. When ever someone else jumped on the NBU support bandwagon, I taught them the same trick. Now we have a monitoring group on site 24 hours a day and that has resulted in WAY too many people terminal servicing into either the master or one of the media servers to administer NetBackup. I think we're playing with fire. Will the Remote Administrator REALLY let me do everything I need to do? Everything I can do with a local connection to the Master? Is there any trick to setting it up?

Thanks,
Randy
20 REPLIES 20

Dennis_Strom
Level 6
I am a Solaris guy and I have and java console installed on a pc. I then run rdesktp on my Solaris workstation to access my pc. I do quite a bit of administration this way. If I need an xterm I use my workstation if I want to GUI I use and java console. I really like this setup.

Stumpr2
Level 6
Randy,
Better purchase some asbestos pants because you eventually are gonna get burned. You have to limit the number of people that can access the RAC and/or java. The java is a lot easier to control because it has an auth file to enable users and also to be able to limit their functions. The RAC has no such feature. One way to cut down is to not configure SAN/media serviers to have full server functionality. That is the purpose of the selection of either SERVER or MEDIA_SERVER in the bp.conf (UNIX) or the registry (Win). If you select SERVER then anyone that has access and admin/root privileges can run the GUI's. If you select MEDIA_SERVER then the number of functions id limited. This is explained in the "Help" available on the GUI or you can try and find it in the sysadmin guide.

Randy_Samora
Level 6
Couldn't sleep all night just waiting for your response. As always, thanks for the info.

It seems I spend 16 hours a day in NetBackup. I can do everything I need to do logged in locally and I don't want to use the RAC or the java console if I'm going to have to log in locally for some tasks.

Lance_Hoskins
Level 6
I can't remember the last time I logged on locally to my master server. We do everything remotely (from our desks or from home) and have no problems in doing so. I would for sure make sure you coordinate with co-workers if you're going to make any architectual changes, but for simply monitoring and such, working remotely should work just fine. I think your bigger problem is having too many hands in the pot if they don't know what they're doing...not the fact that they're all logged on simultaneously.

Randy_Samora
Level 6
I added my laptop to the Servers list on the Properties page of the Master Server. Does this require a stop and restart of services? I'm getting a window telling me either I don't have access or my laptop isn't listed.

Stumpr2
Level 6
> Does this require a stop and restart of services?

yes

Randy_Samora
Level 6
^#%$@$%!!

Everytime I make a change it tells me I need to stop and restart but sometimes it isn't true. I was hoping this was one of those times.

Alex_Vasquez
Level 6
Perhaps this suggestion is out of scope with the issue being discussed, but couldn't you use RAC and then enable/config VxSS so that way you can limit what type of access other users have to the netbackup application. It seems to me that you could still let others remote connect to monitor and limit the potential harm that they could cause.

And that, super friends, is my 100 cents minus 98.

Stumpr2
Level 6
Randy,

for future reference

DOCUMENTATION: After making any changes to the bp.conf file on a VERITAS NetBackup (tm) server, is there a way to reread the configuration without having to stop and restart the NetBackup daemons?
http://support.veritas.com/docs/234746

Dennis_Strom
Level 6
with 6 I think it is best to stop/start.

Stumpr2
Level 6
Dennis,
On my NB 6.0 I follow this:
GENERAL ERROR: Veritas NetBackup (tm) hangs when attempting to configure devices through the Administration console, or by using the tpautoconf and tpconfig commands. The errors "Failed opening the device mappings file", "EMM interface initialization failed" or "could not scan host list" may also be returned.
http://support.veritas.com/docs/281866

Randy_Samora
Level 6
I added my laptop, went to a command prompt on the Master and ran bpdown, all services stopped successfully, then I ran bpup and all started successfully. I'm still getting the error telling me to make sure I have access and that my client is on the server list. I'm almost positive that if I reboot the master that then it will start working. I just thought since I had a captive audience I'd ask if anyone else runs into this problem where bpdown and bpup are supposed to provide the desired results but a lot of the time an actual reboot is required? Anyone?

Thanks,
Randy

Stumpr2
Level 6
Randy,
I just don't know enough about 6.0 and the EMM thingee but I highly doubt that if a bpdown and pbx stop don't do it then I don't see how a reboot could.

BUT try this
DOCUMENTATION: How to use the "nbemmcmd -addhost" command to add a media server to a VERITAS NetBackup (tm) 6.0 environment.
http://support.veritas.com/docs/279049

This also may help
GENERAL ERROR: The "nbemmcmd" command returns "invalid host name (136)" when trying to add hosts to the enterprise media manager (EMM) server.
http://support.veritas.com/docs/279554Message was edited by:
Bob Stump

Randy_Samora
Level 6
Pop up a few windows, I'm running 5.1 MP5. I'm still heeding your advice about not upgrading just yet :) As a matter of fact, my boss asked today when I was planning on upgrading because he had read so many good things about 6.0. I told him to quit reading in the bathroom.

Stumpr2
Level 6
oh, yeah....I knew that! Of coarse I knew that.

Have you checked forward AND reverse lookup (DNS and local hosts file) from both master and your laptop?

Dennis_Strom
Level 6
Randy,
Beautiful, I really needed a good laugh today. With 5 I used to use stop/restart media mangager deamons in the admin console without problems.

Dennis_Strom
Level 6
Bob,
I have a basic shell script that I use now to stop Netbackup so that I can bring down Netbackup and pbx. It also runs bp.kill_all. this way I run on command to bring it all down and one up instead of 3 to bring it down an 2 to start it up.

Randy_Samora
Level 6
I've tried everything but cash so far and still no luck. I'm about to reboot the master and see what happens. Maybe I'll try rebooting my laptop first for grins. Wish me luck.

Srinivas_Mallam
Level 2
Gurus,

Can any body suggest me how to get/install the java console on my laptop (win 2000) for monitoring remotely installed Netbackup server (6.0).

Thanks in Advance.