Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup SharePoint Individual Document Restore

Kwinter
Level 5

We have SharePoint 2007 and NB 7.01

Backup Policy is GRT.

NFS is on media servers and SQL database server for SharePoint

When I try to restore an individual item, I can see the document and I check it for restore, then I perfrom 'folder redirection' but it always fails with the following message:    operation requested by an invalid server(37)

I did make sure that under the Master Server properties, that the database server and the web servers "Allow client browse and Allow client restore". 

Has anyone expirenced this issue; I can see the file I need to recovery, but I just cannot make it happen.

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

browse host properties of SharePoint server and from Server tab make sure all the media server are listed

for link below is the abstract

Resolution:
Most commonly, a Status Code 37 is the result of not adding a new media server's name to the servers list on the master server.

- For UNIX master servers, add the line SERVER = <new_media_server_name> to the bp.conf file on the master server.  Be sure to add this entry after any existing SERVER = lines in the bp.conf file.  
- For Windows servers, add the new media server to the master server's server list by opening the NetBackup Administration Console, and under "Host Properties", selecting Master Server.  On the right hand window pane, double click on the name of the master server and go to the "Servers" section.  Add the new server name to the servers list.  

After adding the server to the servers list on a UNIX master server, stop and restart the NetBackup request daemon (bprd) and NetBackup database manager daemon (bpdbm) for the changes to take effect. If the master server is Windows, stop and then restart the NetBackup Request Manager and NetBackup Database Manager services for the changes to take effect.  

This issue has also been observed when there are problems with name resolution.  Confirm the name of the server generating the Status Code 37 was added to the Domain Name Service (DNS) name tables and/or the local hosts file depending on how the environment resolves names.  

In previous incidents, a Status Code 37 was caused by corrupt lock files within the master server's bprd.d directory (/usr/openv/netbackup/bin on a UNIX master server, and <install_path>\veritas\netbackup\bin on a Windows master server).  

The master server's bpcd log may repeatedly display a message similar to the following:
<16> bpcd valid_server: <servername> is not a server

To clear up the corrupt lock files, use the following steps:
1. Stop all NetBackup daemons/services on the master server
2. While all NetBackup daemons/services on the master server are stopped, rename the bprd.d directory to bprd.d_old
3. Recreate a new, empty bprd.d directory on the master server

4. Start the master server NetBackup daemons/services

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

R u doing restore from Master server or from SP server.

Kwinter
Level 5

I tried performing the restore from the client (sharePoint server) and from the NetBackup Media & Master server.

Both cases didn't work, I receive an 37 error code.

It's weird, I can see the item to recover, but I just cannot re-direct it to any locations (individule recovery).

Thanks,

--Keith

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

HI Keith

can u check if master/media servers entry exist in client host properties (of SharePoint server).....

also have a look at below technote if this helps... it's known issue

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH46050

if above helps let me know..

Kwinter
Level 5

On the master server properties, under 'Distributed Applications Restore Mapping'

Application Host  (vm-SPweb2)   ......   Component Host (SPsql02)

I could not get to the technote from the url you posted.

Thanks Vaibhav,

Kwinter
Level 5

On the master server properties, under 'Distributed Applications Restore Mapping'

Application Host  (vm-SPweb2)   ......   Component Host (SPsql02)

I could not get to the technote from the url you posted.

Thanks Vaibhav,

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

browse host properties of SharePoint server and from Server tab make sure all the media server are listed

for link below is the abstract

Resolution:
Most commonly, a Status Code 37 is the result of not adding a new media server's name to the servers list on the master server.

- For UNIX master servers, add the line SERVER = <new_media_server_name> to the bp.conf file on the master server.  Be sure to add this entry after any existing SERVER = lines in the bp.conf file.  
- For Windows servers, add the new media server to the master server's server list by opening the NetBackup Administration Console, and under "Host Properties", selecting Master Server.  On the right hand window pane, double click on the name of the master server and go to the "Servers" section.  Add the new server name to the servers list.  

After adding the server to the servers list on a UNIX master server, stop and restart the NetBackup request daemon (bprd) and NetBackup database manager daemon (bpdbm) for the changes to take effect. If the master server is Windows, stop and then restart the NetBackup Request Manager and NetBackup Database Manager services for the changes to take effect.  

This issue has also been observed when there are problems with name resolution.  Confirm the name of the server generating the Status Code 37 was added to the Domain Name Service (DNS) name tables and/or the local hosts file depending on how the environment resolves names.  

In previous incidents, a Status Code 37 was caused by corrupt lock files within the master server's bprd.d directory (/usr/openv/netbackup/bin on a UNIX master server, and <install_path>\veritas\netbackup\bin on a Windows master server).  

The master server's bpcd log may repeatedly display a message similar to the following:
<16> bpcd valid_server: <servername> is not a server

To clear up the corrupt lock files, use the following steps:
1. Stop all NetBackup daemons/services on the master server
2. While all NetBackup daemons/services on the master server are stopped, rename the bprd.d directory to bprd.d_old
3. Recreate a new, empty bprd.d directory on the master server

4. Start the master server NetBackup daemons/services

Kwinter
Level 5

Good news!

You are RIGHT it worked....Thank you Vaibhav

It said it restored the file, but when I went to sharePoint, the old document is still there.

> I used radio button from the General tab:  "Restore everything to its original location"

> and used the "overwrite existing files"

the requested operation was successfully completed(0)

then I went to the sharepoint location where this document is, and it still shows the old date for the file...it almost looks like it didn't replace that file.  Is there something I'm missing?

I am very happy with your help!!!

--Keith

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi Keith

date would remain same as it was backed up. So as per ur restore config it is correct. Try performing alternate restore to master server for GRT files and check.

:)