Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup software binary install in SAN shared disk

Sean_-
Level 5
Partner
Hi,

is it advisable to install the NetBackup software in the SAN shared disk ?

or just store the catalog DB at SAN shared disk and leave the NetBackup software at the server/host ?

what is the good practice ?

Thank you.
6 REPLIES 6

Stumpr2
Level 6
It can be done but base your decision on your disaster recovery requirements. Remember, the master server will be the most critical element. I have heard of some admins using a virtual name for the netbackup master server and they can just switch the SAN shared disk to another server.

Sujata_Mutatk2
Level 4
Certified
We have this kind of scenario running in production where master server name is a logical name to the Veritas cluster and Netbackup binaries are installed on local disk of both the nodes.
Whereas catalog /opt/openv/netbackup/db and /opt/openv/volmgr/database is on SAN disk and fails over between the nodes.

It is running perfect and version of Netbackup is 5.1.
There is a script that builds all this for you after you install binaries on both the nodes of the cluster.

Sean_-
Level 5
Partner
Will there be disadvantages for installing NetBackup and its Catalog DB into SAN shared disk ?

For example, the SAN shared disk failure, or connectivity failure to the SAN shared disk then it might have problem for NetBackup to function.

For my scenario that which is not in clustered environment yet, so is it need to installed NetBackup and its Catalog DB at SAN shared disk ?

Thank you.

Stumpr2
Level 6
I suggest only using SAN for the ..netbackup/db/images and possibly for the "logs" directory. Create appropriate links to the SAN drive for those two directories.

If the SAN shared drive fails, yes you will have problems, in that you will not be able to do any restores or backups.

I do suggest that you familiarize yourself with Chapter 4 of the sysadmin guide vol 1titled Managing Catalogs and ImagesMessage was edited by:
Bob Stump

zippy
Level 6
YS,

When I configure a Master server I create openv on the SAN attached disks (raid 1, 5 or 10) or on a local mirrored disk drive seperate from the O.S and then soft link /usr/openv ----> /san_attached_storage/openv, this leaves all binaries and db's out on the SAN or mirrored disk drives.

I have configured many master servers, with SAN attached storage and without SAN attached storage, in each case i keep all openv data off the O.S Volume group, lvols and disk drives, one of the main reasons is that if for some reason the openv mount or lvol were to fill to 100% it wont effect the Operating Systems functionality.

DR For HPUX Master Backup Server:
1: Mirror the OS drives.
2: Build and configure an Ignite Server, configure all servers including your Master Backup Server to send their O.S to Ignite the server.
3: Run an additional "local" twice a month (using a DDS tape drive) Ignite for the O.S, keep 1 DDS onsite and 1 off site.
4: Backup the DB's using 2 rotating tapes, configure the Master to send you an e-mail daily indicating what tape the system recently used.
5: If you don't have a SAN then Mirror the disks that contain openv. If you have a SAN then make sure you put openv on a RAID volume.

Best parctice is "redundancy"!

JD

Ed_Wilts
Level 6
> is it advisable to install the NetBackup software in
> the SAN shared disk ?

We've had /usr/openv on our SAN for a few years. We also have SAN-based DSSUs. /usr/openv is even software-mirrored to a different array just in case... Our partition is about 500GB. We've got a replacement master server on order and it should be relatively easy to just mount up /usr/openv on the new server and get going fairly quickly.

.../Ed