cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup v6 MP2 Catalog Backup Problem (Status Code 1)

Simon_Wilkins2
Level 2
Does anyone have any problems backing up the Catalog using the Hot Catalog Backup function in v6?

I get a status code of 1. The file that is missed is Program Files\VERITAS\NetBackup\var\global\joblogfile.txt. This file is currently 11Mb in size.

The actual error message is ERR - failure reading file: D:\Program Files\VERITAS\NetBackup\var\global\joblogfile.txt (WIN32 13: Unknown error)

My email alerts are stating the the Catalog Backup has failed (becuase it's not 0).

I am running NBU v6 MP2 on Windows 2003 SP1 with a StorageTek SL500 library. I have the same setup but using a STK L20 and this one works fine. Does anyone know how to fix this?

When I run this manually it works fine, but when scheduled it fails - any clues?
8 REPLIES 8

Stephan_Langbei
Level 4
I get the Error 67 (Case 240-181-769 (Hot catalogue backups getting error 67: client backup failed to read the fi...)

Richard_Mansell
Level 3
Yup, we get it occasionally too:-

31/05/2006 9:54:57 a.m. - Error bpbrm(pid=9360) from client ccobkp01: ERR - failure reading file: C:\Program Files\VERITAS\NetBackup\var\global\joblogfile.txt (WIN32 13: Unknown error)

We are running Win 2003 SP1 talking to an HP MSL6060 library.

Glenda_Mojica_2
Level 4
Hi,

Have you tried re-creating your backup catalog?

Gerald_W__Gitau
Level 6
Certified
I am also on NBU6 MP2 but never seen that error. I however checked the file joblogfile and is 0 KB. The date modified was 15th June 2006. The hot catalog jobs runs every morning after all backup jobs have completed. I will try and run it with other backups and see if it will modify the file.

Julie_Ulrich
Level 3
I have this exact problem too. I get it just about every Monday morning, but all the other catalog backups run successfully. Is it a bug?

Richard_Mansell
Level 3
I finally raised a call about this issue as the catalogue backups were hardly ever completing successfully. These are the responses so far:-

"I only found one other case in our knowledgebase, and the problem was resolved by stopping all of the NetBackup services, renaming the file to a different location, and then restarting NetBackup. 'Process Explorer' (from Sysinternals.com) was used in that instance to identify that the file was open by the 'nbsl.exe' process.
Backline have confirmed that the file is used to cache job details for the purpose of running NetBackup 6.0 catalog backups, and the file is non-critical (for the purposes of disaster recovery), hence the status 1 on the catalog backup job. To resolve:

1. Shutdown all NetBackup services (ensuring that nbsl.exe stops as well)

2. Move the file out of the var/global directory to another location with a different name

3. Restart NetBackup

4. Attempt another catalog backup"

and

"Glad to hear that the catalog backup went through.

It's difficult to provide an exact reason why the file needed to be renamed, as there was only other one instance of this occurring for our customer base. But the file is essentially a temporary, one, and not required for a disaster recovery restore (of your NetBackup server). Typically, the file should be 0 bytes (or very close to it), so I suspect that nbsl may have been caught in some kind of loop that caused the file to grow in size, ultimately resulting in the catalog backup problem.

If the file grows in size again or you have concerns about the usage of the file, let me know and I'll escalate the issue."

Our file is still growing so I have escalated it.

Richard_Mansell
Level 3
An update:-

"The issue is now known to Engineering as ET637418 (for your reference). Whilst we await their response, you may wish to add the full path for joblogfile.txt into your exclude list, to exclude the file from the hot catalog backup. The only other workaround at this stage is to rename/remove the file, however as you've observed, this is a short-term solution."

Richard_Mansell
Level 3
FYI, I received a binary fix for this from Support yesterday.

nbproxy.exe and nbsl.exe

They did say though that the fix won't be in MP4 so another binary will be required then. It should be in MP5 though.