cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup 5 question

Mark_Bourgeois
Level 3
Yes we are still using NB5 and it has been solid for years.  We had a Win2000 server crash and I am trying to restore it from backup tape.  I have the tape from 7/22 that the backup was written to in the tape library.
This was all setup up by the previous admin.

Here is what I have completed so far.

Removed the old server from the domain
Installed Win 2000 SP 4
Installed Netbackup Client from NB5 installation CD
Added the new server to the domain
Configured new server and client in Netbackup client
When I launch the Backup Restore Gui I get the following message:
Error retrieving VxSS configuration information for the VxSS server.  Check that the configuration us set on the local system or the remote system that you are attempting to connect to.
I can close the error message and when I click on Select for Restore the following error appears: ERROR file open failed

I can ping the server and client from each other via ip and hostname
From within NB Host Properties, Clients - the client was already listed - If I try to connect to the client or get its properties I get the following error under Status:  invalid error number. 

I have verified the netbackup server is running on the client and have rebooted the client twice.

If anybody has any ideas that would be great as I need to restore the drive's contents to get the application that runs on it going again.  I have the data on a SAN but I need to get Windows and the application going again. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Another thought:

You installed NBU on client before adding it to the domain. That means you were logged in as a non-domain user/admin when doing the install.
I assume you are now logging on as a domain user. You are probably facing permission issues?
Verify that your user id have local admin rights.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   
But use nslookup and not ping.  If you use ping Windows may use WINS for name resolution.

I think the reverse name lookup the culprit. You must also be able to do a "nslookup {IP_address}.

Marianne
Level 6

Are you launching BAR from the client?
Any reason why it thinks that VxSS is installed/configured? Have you deployed VxSS (Veritas Security Services) in this environment?

Have you tried to do test-backups of the client before attempting restore?
Create bpcd, bpbkar and tar logs on client before attempting backups or restores.
Also do all bpclntcmd tests in all directions to test comms.

Mark_Bourgeois
Level 3
Nicolai - thank you for responding - I am able to resolve both the server and client names/ip addresses using nslookup on the NB server and the client.  I can telnet to the server from the client but cannot telnet from the server to the client. 

I tried to uninstall NB and reinstall but that failed and rolled back.  I tried to change, repair, and unistall and all worked except for the unistall.  I found in the former administrators notes that they applied patches 5.01 and 5.04.  I have the patch files but there isn't any .exe to apply them.  Do you know how to apply those?

Mark_Bourgeois
Level 3
Marianne - thank you for commenting.  I am not sure what you mean by launcing BAR from the client - is that backup, archive, restore?  If yes when I launch Restore I get the error message VxSS message. I click ok and then the ERROR: file open failed message box appears.  I click ok and the restore box is empty.  The server name and the client name is correct in the blue bar at the top of the restore window.

As for VxSS being installed - this was a clean installation of NB5.0 from the installation CD and I haven't found anywhere that VxSS is configured on the NB server or client.  I tried to uninstall NB and reinstall but that failed and the installation rolled back.  I tried to change, repair, and unistall and all worked except for the unistall.  I found in the former administrators notes that they applied patches 5.01 and 5.04.  I have the patch files but there isn't any .exe to apply them.  Do you know how to apply those or where the VxSS can be removed or configured?  The netbackup service runs locally, the users have full control fo the NB folder, and the ports are active and listenening using the netstat -a command on the client.

I have 2 other servers that are being backed up so I know that NB is functioning and backing up those servers.

Marianne
Level 6
I am curious about the VxSS errors if Security Services was not installed. Never seen this in all the years of supporting NBU...
Please confirm - NBU 5.0 or 5.1? These versions had Maintenance Packs in the form of MP1, MP2 and so on (e.g NB_51_2_M...) . These MP's were downloaded in .exe format (I still have a 5.1 MP5 patch - NB_51_5_M_283088.winnt.intel.exe). The exe had to be extracted and definitely included a 'setup.exe'.

Yes, BAR is short for 'Backup Archive & Restore'.

What error is seen in the NBU installation log after the rollback? (install.log file is found in the C:\Documents and Settings\<administrator_userid>\Local Settings\Temp directory) Look for Return value that is not '1' - errors are normally displayed as Return value 3.

Try a test backup of this new server. Create log directories for troubleshooting purposes.

What happens when you 'telnet <client> bpcd' from master? Is anything logged in bpcd on client? Also when you try to connect via Host Properties - see if anything is written in bpcd log.

Mark_Bourgeois
Level 3
Marianne,

I was able to run the 5.04 update on the client but still receive the VxSS error when opening the BAR on the client.  I uninstalled the patch and tried to uninstall NB5 and ran into the same uninstall error.  I searched the drive including hidden system files for the install.log  and any .log and couldn't find it.  I looked at the local settings and

bak
Level 4
You may want to just re-download the patches for your client and apply them.

For 5.0:
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/286252.htm

For 5.1:
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/302687.htm

Will_Restore
Level 6
make sure client hosts file includes this line:
127.0.0.1 localhost

Mark_Bourgeois
Level 3
Thanks WRobbing - yes it is there.  Thanks again

127.0.0.1       localhost

Marianne
Level 6

The uninstall error certainly points to an unhealty NBU installation.
Any info in Event Viewer Application Log?
Installation logs are written to %TEMP%.
In cmd window, type
c:\> echo %TEMP%

I had another look at your initial post. I don't understand this step:
Configured new server and client in Netbackup client

Please explain what exactly was done here?
When Client software is installed, it prompts for the master server name (and other servers if used). Other than patch installation, there is nothing else to be done on the client.

Marianne
Level 6

Another thought:

You installed NBU on client before adding it to the domain. That means you were logged in as a non-domain user/admin when doing the install.
I assume you are now logging on as a domain user. You are probably facing permission issues?
Verify that your user id have local admin rights.