cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup 7.1 AIR can replicate catalog DB to remote Master server

demo4119
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Can Netbackup 7.1 AIR can replicate catalog DB to remote Master server?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

AbdulRasheed
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi Demo4119,

When you replicate backup images using A.I.R, you are sending backup data as well as meta data (aka. the catalog entries required for the backup image) to a remote master server. This way the remote master server can restore data for your production client anytime at the remote location.

What you get with A.I.R are independent NetBackup domains who has backup images from other domains.

Historically catalog was replicated to other sites so that you can quickly recover a master server at the DR site in the event of primary site loss. Without the catalog, you cannot browse client backups for restores. With A.I.R, you don't need to bring up the original master server at DR site at all. The master at the DR site can immediately start restores!

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Altimate1
Level 6
Partner Accredited

As AIR can replicate any backups to a remote domain, you just have to direct catalog backup of the first domain to a storage unit for which replication as been activated.

Regards

RiaanBadenhorst
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Yes, thats is its function!

Altimate1
Level 6
Partner Accredited

For tutorial purpose, I have posted a silent video (with comments in english) here :

http://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/videos/nbu71-air-automatic-image-replication-video-demo-0

BTW: There is also a French one if you perfer (click here)

Regards 

demo4119
Level 6

Thanks.Altimate1 .

So Air only replicate nbu domain catalog to another domain using SLP policy with Puredisk integrated?

AbdulRasheed
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi Demo4119,

When you replicate backup images using A.I.R, you are sending backup data as well as meta data (aka. the catalog entries required for the backup image) to a remote master server. This way the remote master server can restore data for your production client anytime at the remote location.

What you get with A.I.R are independent NetBackup domains who has backup images from other domains.

Historically catalog was replicated to other sites so that you can quickly recover a master server at the DR site in the event of primary site loss. Without the catalog, you cannot browse client backups for restores. With A.I.R, you don't need to bring up the original master server at DR site at all. The master at the DR site can immediately start restores!

Hope this helps.

demo4119
Level 6

i hv managed to setup a test environment for the AIR setup .

once the client backup is successful backup at the source netbackup domain and importing to the remote netbackup domain successful.

i can restore the file directly from the remote netbackup domain with redirection to a client .

thanks for clarification .