cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup 7: SQL 2008 backup error "ERR - Error in VxBSASetEnv(BSA_SERVICE_HOST): 6."

suraya
Level 4
Partner Certified
Hi, just to share this one.

I had these error while backing up my sql 2008. Luckily, i resolved it by turning off my master server's windows firewall temporarily. I'll try to find which port to use or maybe the correct programs to allow through it later.

ERR - Error in CDBbackrec::CDBbackrec: 6.

CONTINUATION: - The system cannot find the file specified.

ERR - Error in VxBSASetEnv(BSA_SERVICE_HOST): 6.

CONTINUATION: - The handle used to associate this call with a previous VxBSAInit() call is invalid.

CONTINUATION: - The handle used to associate this call with a previous VxBSAInit() call is invalid.

INF - Results of executing <C:\SQL-test1.bch>:

<0> operations succeeded. <3> operations failed.

INF - The following object(s) were not backed up successfully.

INF - master

INF - model

INF - msdb

5 REPLIES 5

marekkedzierski
Level 6
Partner

You should to open 13724 between Master and Clients and 13724, 1556 between Master and Media.

But I think windows firewall is not a good idea on Master or Media Server.

Andrea_Annoe
Level 4
Partner Accredited
Hi,
we have the same error.

We have check that port are open between master - client and master - media.

Do you have some suggestion?

Best regards Andrea.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Suggestion? YES - turn off Windows Firewall. Why do you need it? Your external firewalls should be sufficient.
I fully agree with Marek - windows firewall is not a good idea on Master or Media Server.

NBU_TSE
Level 4
Employee

Hi Andrea,

Your problem may not be specifically the same issue with firewall with that type of error. It could be another communication issue. But because you do have firewall enabled, first thing to do is disable it to eliminate if this is in fact causing the problem. Then if you really need firewall enabled we can sort out what ports need to be opened in which directions.

Oddy
Level 5
Employee
Andrea,

For sql backup you need to open following ports in the firewall both ways.
vnetd 13724
bpcd 13782
bprd 13720

When the sql batch script starts on the client it will connect back to the master for the backup request on port 13720.

To make sure that the port is open in the firewall try to run telnet <master server name> 13720 to make sure it connects, try the same for bpcd and vnetd, also try to connect to the bpcd and vnetd port from the master to the client.

Netbackup will use the bpcd port to update the progress log on the client and the vnetd port is the default port is used.

I hope this helps.

/Oddy