cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup Accelerator Question

backup-botw
Level 6

I am trying to get a better understanding of what this is used for and when it actually works. I took over an environment that is running 7.6.0.2, but where I left we were on 7.1 so most of this is new to me. I was told that Accelerator only works on the VM clients that are writing to our MSDP disk and that the few policies we have with physical clients writing to disk there is no need for it as Accelerator does nothing in that instance. From what I can tell that is correct as I see zero speed increase in those policies, but I was hoping to get a definite answer on this.

I have read a few articles in reference to Accelerator and what all it can do, but I dont see any reference or note saying its only for VMWare so I dont know if there is a piece of configuration missing for physical servers or what might be happening.

Thank you for any help you can give.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
7 REPLIES 7

inn_kam
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Frequently Asked Questions on NetBackup Accelerator

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/frequently-asked-questions-netbackup-accelerator

Frequently Asked Questions on NetBackup Accelerator Part II

Network Attached Storage and Network Data Management Protocol

backup-botw
Level 6

I have already read all of those articles. There is no reference in any of them to physical servers as opposed to VM's. I am kind of looking for a straight answer on this one. Does accelerator do anything in regards to NON Virtual servers.

Thank you.

Andrew_Madsen
Level 6
Partner

First off Accelerator for VM is different than Accelerator mentioned in these articles.

http://www.symantec.com/connect/blogs/netbackup-accelerator-vmware-whole-new-world

These articles are looking at a host with a client installed that uses accelerator so it makes no difference if you installed the client on a VM or physical server since it performs the same function just as a regular client based backup does.

If you had read the articles you would see that yet it does help. The area it helps most is in full backups. It cuts the time dramatically for those backups. It also helps in incrementals but not so much.

NBU35
Level 6

NetBackup Accelerator works for VM's as well as physical WIndows & UNIX hosts.

But you can only use NBU Accelerator if you are securing your backups to the MSDP type storage unit, because accelerator only works with MSDP type storage unit.

to enable it for vm's backup, you need to enable CBT (change block tracking) on that virtual machine by editing its setting from the VSpehere console.

for Physical machines you need to enable Use Change Journal setting for that in the host properties for that client. Host properties> Host Properties > Windows Client > Client Settings > Enable 'Use Change Journal'.

Please ensure to backup on mSDP supported storage unit.

Andrew_Madsen
Level 6
Partner

@ChAmp35

I do not believe you need to do anything in vCenter. NetBackup takes care of it through SOAP calls. If you have a link to a document that says you need t edit the individual VM please post it.

NBU35
Level 6

Hey Andrew

Thanks for the throwing light on this point :) .Yes, NBU accelerator automatically enables the CBT for vmware machine if it is disbaled.

I just shared my experience, in my infra I have to do it for few machines, Don't know reason behind it

Andrew_Madsen
Level 6
Partner