cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup BMR P2V with GPT disks

dsk1
Level 4

Hi,

We have two Netbackup domains one at Source and other DR location and using AIR to replicate critical backups. As part of DR test, physical backups would be restored to virtual at DR location using P2V option, But we have problem restoring few clients which has GPT disks and Netbackup (it is on 7.7.3) does not support converting P2V with the presence of GPT disks. This is mentioned in BMR admin guide and below is the statement.

Currently, the deployment on Windows client having SFW-enabled or having EFI or GPT partitioning cannot be converted to VM using this client to VM conversion utility.

Could someone suggest the alternate ways to perform DR tests? I understand that normal windows client DR procedure to restore back to the same client hardware can' be followed here due to Dissimilar hardware at DR location.

looking for experts advise on the alternate ways to follow the DR test. Appreciate your help.

Thanks

Sree

1 REPLY 1

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

AFAIK, that section of the v7.7.2 Admin Guide for BMR on page 200 is refering to the "P2V" semi-automated functionality of NetBackup - i.e. item 5) below.

Remember there are several backup client recovery options:

1) V2V - for VM style backups, normal whole VM restore.

2) V2V - for plain style backups, using BMR Client, a bit like item 3).

3) P2P - using NetBackup BMR Client - for exact same hanrdware.

4) P2P - using NetBackup BMR Client - for DSR (Dissimilar System Restore).

5) P2V - using the NetBackup conversion process/functionality as described on page 199 of the v7.7.2 BMR Admin Guide - but as you have pointed out, not officially supported for physical servers which originally had GPT or EFI partitions.

So, maybe you could try this:

6) P2V - using NetBackup BMR Client... i.e. do your own kind of conversion, using the NetBackup BMR process, i.e. boot a new empty VM (with same disk/partitions sizes in the same order as the original) using an SRT and follow the normal BMR Client recovery process (i.e. use the physical server backup) to create a VM... and then immediately after the recovery then install VM tools.

But, I'm not sure how officially supported it might be.  I mean, NetBackup's own semi-automated P2V procedures (item 5 above), might not have the capability (in the program's application code) for recovery of a system that had GPT partitions simply because Veritas have not coded/programmed/added the functionality to do this automatically... whereas... you might still be able to do it yourself by following what is essentially a normal BMR process.