cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup Bare Metal Restore

bluedemon
Level 4

I have a netbackup 6.5 and I tried to do a bare metal restore (BMR) of my file server to a virtual machine (virtualbox 4.2). I already have the full image backup of the file server. But, how should I proceed from here? I am quite new to this product, so please guide me step-by-step.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mandar_khanolka
Level 6
Employee

Answers to:

1. Both the options are OK. Make sure that after doing PTR with main SRT, if PTR works successfully then burn SRT ISO. Because now this SRT ISO will have any drivers mapped for destination HW. Burn media out of this ISO. Dont create ISO before doing PTR with main SRT, otherwise it may not have required drivers to do recovery on dest new hw.

2. Ignore this if you can see a discovered configuration in place from the admin gui menu. YOu can cancel this as well.

After this you can proceed with mapping as explained in the video.

3. This generally happens when client-master fails to verify their nw identity. Confirm if the client in restore environment can ping your master, has correct ip set for self and master host. And same checks from your master server as well.

BTW your NB version is too old. I would recommend to try with new version if possible. :)

Thanks.

Mandar

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Ashish-Sharma
Level 6
Accredited

hi,

Check this artical may be help

Bare Matel Restoration Process

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/bare-matel-restoration-process

bluedemon
Level 4

Ashish, thanks for the link. But that is not I want as I am trying to restore to a virtual machine. I believe if the restoration is involving a new hardware, there are some extra step need to be configured such as prepare to discover

mandar_khanolka
Level 6
Employee

You can refer below BMR videos explaining how to restore windows physical box onto a virtual machine. You may find this useful as i think you want to do similar recovery. BUt your NB version is quite old i.e. 6.5. I would recommend to move to 7.x if possible.

Link 1:

http://www.symantec.com/connect/videos/netbackup-bmr-701-release-windows-2008-client-physical-machin...

Link 2: 

http://www.symantec.com/connect/videos/netbackup-bmr-701-release-windows-2008-client-physical-machin...

Thanks.

Mandar

bluedemon
Level 4

Mandar, I have gone through your video before post here. I tried to follow your step, but I got few problem.

1) Instead of network boot, I use boot by CD. When create a bootable CD, there are new SRT created. Should I use the SRT that we manually create or the SRT that auto created after we successfully create the bootable CD during restoration?

2) After the boot server manage to detect the new machine under the discovered configurations, I found my discover task is still in queue

3) During the process of restoration, I receive error 'failed to very backup rc131' and sometime rc23.

I wonder where could be wrong????

mandar_khanolka
Level 6
Employee

Answers to:

1. Both the options are OK. Make sure that after doing PTR with main SRT, if PTR works successfully then burn SRT ISO. Because now this SRT ISO will have any drivers mapped for destination HW. Burn media out of this ISO. Dont create ISO before doing PTR with main SRT, otherwise it may not have required drivers to do recovery on dest new hw.

2. Ignore this if you can see a discovered configuration in place from the admin gui menu. YOu can cancel this as well.

After this you can proceed with mapping as explained in the video.

3. This generally happens when client-master fails to verify their nw identity. Confirm if the client in restore environment can ping your master, has correct ip set for self and master host. And same checks from your master server as well.

BTW your NB version is too old. I would recommend to try with new version if possible. :)

Thanks.

Mandar