cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restores from IBM running UEFI and HP Servers running BIOS

Gazebonator
Level 2

Hi Everyone,

I hope someone has come accross this before and might be able to help me.

Currently running Netbackup 7.5.0.3, Windows 2008 R2 on the master server and media servers

I need to restore some IBM servers running UEFI windows 2008 R2 (GTP disks) to some HP servers as part of DR test. Currently HP servers do not support the UEFI and are sticking with using the stable BIOS most of use and love.

Is there a restore proceedure for doing this correctly as I beleive the standard restore documentation System state and C drive does not work and results in a blue screen. Should this process work correctly?

I know that BMR is not supported with GPT disks so this is out of the question.

Any help or experiance would be greatfully received.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mouse
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Problem

The BMR disk configuration discovery section of a backup is not successful on a Windows machine using GPT and UEFI technology.

Error

Errors were encountered while discovering disk configuration. (1)

Cause

BMR in Netbackup 7.X (and thereby 6.x) does not support the creation and therefore restoration GPT  and UEFI partitions.

Occasionally machines using these technologies will back up successfully (depending on how the partitioning and definitions have been setup).  If these machines are restored by BMR the MBR  partitioning method will be used.

Solution

The workaround is  to use the restore procedure listed in the related articles section.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH190513

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
I guess windows system restore across uEFI and BIOS is not supported. I could not find any formal document, but yhe message in the original post below point out such restriction. http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsbackup/thread/55742bfc-3392-485a-9ce1-204b3b55050f/

Mouse
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Problem

The BMR disk configuration discovery section of a backup is not successful on a Windows machine using GPT and UEFI technology.

Error

Errors were encountered while discovering disk configuration. (1)

Cause

BMR in Netbackup 7.X (and thereby 6.x) does not support the creation and therefore restoration GPT  and UEFI partitions.

Occasionally machines using these technologies will back up successfully (depending on how the partitioning and definitions have been setup).  If these machines are restored by BMR the MBR  partitioning method will be used.

Solution

The workaround is  to use the restore procedure listed in the related articles section.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH190513

mandar_khanolka
Level 6
Employee

Hi All,

JFYI

ASAP BMR will be coming up with recovery support for EFI+GPT based Windows system.

Any customization like volume size change or layout change in destination recovery configuration may not be avilable in first release but eventually it would come. Anyways recovery of system onto the same or different machine, which is more important, would be supported.

This support would be declared in form of an engineering binary/package.

Thanks.

Mandar