cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup Client Upgrade Fails

jmachado
Level 1

Hi everyone,
I'm trying to update the Solaris Clients to version 8.1, using update_clients from the Master Server (vsmasterbck), since for security reasons I cannot use the Console to do that.
But it keeps failing with several errors, being the most comum this one:

Updating client vsrhdbq1-bkp -- Solaris hardware running Solaris10

vsrhdbq1-bkp: update failed, see /tmp/update_clients.03-13-1656.31126

Installation temp files are shredded successfully.

The update trace can be found in /tmp/update_clients.03-13-1656.31126.
[root@vsmasterbck Solaris10]# cat /tmp/update_clients.03-13-1656.31126

vsrhdbq1-bkp Solaris/Solaris10 ...

CLIENT_CMD_SOCK from bpcd = 4

CLIENT_STAT_SOCK from bpcd = 5

BPCD connected

Couldn't read from file /usr/openv/netbackup/version on client vsrhdbq1-bkp

(for this error not to happen we found out that it's required to do the following on the client:

ln -s /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/version /usr/openv/netbackup/version

, which makes no sense)

Client read errno = 0

NBInstallAnswer.conf.31126 size = 435

Couldn't write to file /tmp/bp_inst.31126/openv/netbackup/client/Solaris/Solaris10/VRTSnbclt.pkg.gz on client vsrhdbq1-bkp

Client write errno = 32

Couldn't write to file /tmp/bp_inst.31126/openv/netbackup/client/Solaris/Solaris10/VRTSnbpck.pkg.gz on client vsrhdbq1-bkp

Client write errno = 32

(...)

Couldn't execute client_config script on vsrhdbq1-bkp

NOTE: We already gave 3Gb to /tmp/ directory, and chmod 777 permissions, but still fails.

Since this method keeps failing, I tried using install_client_files from the master:

/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/install_client_files sftp vsrhwtxp1-bkp aornela

, but it requires an aditional steps to be made by the Solaris Admins:

root@vsrhwtxp1:/tmp# sh /tmp/bp.20281/client_config

, and sometimes even this step fails...

Can someone please advise how to properly update clients throught the master, with minimal to 0 interaction from the sys admins (like the Windows silentinstall.bat, for example)?

Thank you,
Best Regards to all 

3 REPLIES 3

Mouse
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Did you try to use the LiveUpdate package? The only gotcha you need to have an HTTP server in the network but as long as you have one, the rest is a no-brainer.

X2
   VIP   

Just in case you want to try using LiveUpdate, remember that you need at least 4GB in /tmp + the % that you have set in your monitoring systems to avoid any alerts.

Sorry for the late reply, but unfortunately the client doesn't want to implement the Live update feature, so the script update_clients, is my best option.

As far as I tried, the update_clients is only giving errors on AIX and Solaris clients, being the worst case the Solaris Clients, which is why I asked for help here :)

Thank you,
Best Regards to all