Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup Interview

skrp
Level 4
Certified

Hello All,

Can you please share any Netbackup interview questions if you have. Iam looking to crack a job in this area. Also can you please let me know the area that interviewers will be stressing on if I go with 4 years of experience on resume. Appreciate your help on this. 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Andrew_Madsen
Level 6
Partner

I hope I am misreading this request "please let me know the area that interviewers will be stressing on if I go with 4 years of experience on resume". When you say "I go with 4 years of experience on resume" do you mean you do not have four years of experience and you are going to put it down anyway just to get a job?

If you do then there is no level of preparation you will be able to take to cover this. 

View solution in original post

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Skrp,

Andrew makes a good point, do you have any NetBackup experience, if not, do not say you have 4 years , you will get caught out.

I would expect someone with 4 years experience not to need to worry about interview questions, as their experience will mean they can handle interview type questions.  I would also expect them to be pretty good and to be able to do everything on here.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/making-your-life-easier-netbackup

(Actually, forget i/view questions, make sure you can do everything in that link, that would be a very very good start to an interview as many people I come across, can't).

Let me just add that I know of someone (not Symantec) who stretched the turth on his CV, I also happen to know that his manager at the time suspected something was up (possibly because he couldnt actually do the job) and called up one of his previous managers to check.  I don't know if they kept the job, but I suspect not.

IT is a small world, people hear things, names get mentioned, so keep everything above board.

... and to prove it ...

When I started at Symantec, I took a call, and it was Marianne (yes, our own great Marianne from this very forum).

Mariannes first words to me, once I had introduced myself were, "I know you ..." 

This had me confused, as I was sure I had never had the pleasure of meeting Marianne and I've never been to South Africa, where Marianne lives.  Turns out that someone I worked with at my previous job also knew Marianne, and had told her all about me (hopefully good things ) ..

So yes, small world out there ...

Martin

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

revarooo
Level 6
Employee
skrp check out this old thread which may help https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/netbackup-interview-questions-answers This should give an idea. It's very tricky to second guess what an interviewer is going to ask though. Google 'netbackup interview questions'

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
If you search this forum you will find lots of potential interview questions. In all honesty, I believe they are 99% a load of rubbish. I would fail those interviews because I would give it the stupid answers they deserve. Go with the knowledge you have. You cannot pretend to know all the answers. Nobody does. But go with an attitude and willingness to learn. Make them understand you know where to look for the answers. EVERYTHING can be found in the manuals, Google and this forum. Good luck!

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

I'm going to have to agree with Marianne - some of the previous interview questions on here are impossible to answer, some are so odd they would never be asked (I hope).

My personal view - who cares if someone doesn't know the exact answer, better they have some idea but more importantly know where to find the answer, or know how to go about staying troubleshooting.

Andrew_Madsen
Level 6
Partner

I hope I am misreading this request "please let me know the area that interviewers will be stressing on if I go with 4 years of experience on resume". When you say "I go with 4 years of experience on resume" do you mean you do not have four years of experience and you are going to put it down anyway just to get a job?

If you do then there is no level of preparation you will be able to take to cover this. 

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Skrp,

Andrew makes a good point, do you have any NetBackup experience, if not, do not say you have 4 years , you will get caught out.

I would expect someone with 4 years experience not to need to worry about interview questions, as their experience will mean they can handle interview type questions.  I would also expect them to be pretty good and to be able to do everything on here.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/making-your-life-easier-netbackup

(Actually, forget i/view questions, make sure you can do everything in that link, that would be a very very good start to an interview as many people I come across, can't).

Let me just add that I know of someone (not Symantec) who stretched the turth on his CV, I also happen to know that his manager at the time suspected something was up (possibly because he couldnt actually do the job) and called up one of his previous managers to check.  I don't know if they kept the job, but I suspect not.

IT is a small world, people hear things, names get mentioned, so keep everything above board.

... and to prove it ...

When I started at Symantec, I took a call, and it was Marianne (yes, our own great Marianne from this very forum).

Mariannes first words to me, once I had introduced myself were, "I know you ..." 

This had me confused, as I was sure I had never had the pleasure of meeting Marianne and I've never been to South Africa, where Marianne lives.  Turns out that someone I worked with at my previous job also knew Marianne, and had told her all about me (hopefully good things ) ..

So yes, small world out there ...

Martin

skrp
Level 4
Certified

Hello All,

Thanks for all the responses and suggestions.

Just to add further I have only one and eight months of experience in this area and started doing only the basic things in my environment such as tape handling and some basic tasks such as running adhoc backups.

Never had a chance to do the configurations and advanced tasks. How can I improve myself in the L2 level of netbackup. Will be waiting to hear from you all.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

"I have only one and eight months of experience...."

Do you mean 1 year and 8 months?

In any case, tape handling and running adhoc is not going to help you to get a new L2 job.

Show initiative in your current job.
Ask for training and more responsibility. Ask for VMware lab where you can 'play' and learn.
When you see jobs fail, go through the Troubleshooter in the GUI, the Troubleshooting Guide and Google.
Share what you have found with co-workers and ask for advice when you don't know.
Read as much as you can - Admin Guides, this forum, blogs and articles on Connect.

Test your knowledge. This will give you an indication of what you need to skill up on.
In the Training link at the bottom of this page, you will find a link to the Symantec eLibrary. This is free online training.  
Assess your knowledge with the sample exam: http://www.symantec.com/en/uk/products-solutions/training/certification/path.jsp?pathID=sample_exam_... 

And update your CV. Be honest about what you know.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Marianne is correct.

I quite often get messages, how do I learn NBU, how do I trouble shoot NBU etc ...  Unfortunatley the only real way is experience, and I appreciate this can be difficult to get if your job only allows minor tasks.

Training is good, but even then, you actually haveto do the tasks to learn them - you just can't be good at NBU by reading manuals and asking questions.

Have a look through the link I posted above, these A-Z points are what I believe is the minimum a NBU admin should be able to do, it's a good start to learning NBU.

Also, don't try and do all of NBU - it's too big, I don't know anyone even in Symantec who is an 'expert' at every part of the product.  Start with the core product before looking at any complex parts ...

skrp
Level 4
Certified

Thanks Marianne and Martin.

Thanks for taking time to respond to my post. I'm  sure your suggestions would definitely help me.