cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup Java Console problem on Local Laptop running Windows 7

Kisad
Level 5

Hi,

I recentlly got my office laptop changed and the new one came with windows 7.Now the problem I'm facing is that I cant seem to get any of  Netbackup Java Console to work. The software installs fine without error howver when I try to open them an error pops up and it doesnt work.I'm using java consle for netbackup version 6.5,7.0.1 & 7.1.

The same software installation was working fine on my earlier laptop running Windows XP SP3.Is there a separate installation package for Windows 7?

I have attached the error screenshots. Please help fix the problem.

Thanks in Advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

a_la_carte
Level 5

Even in my case, it was also looking for nbjconf file and giving exactly the same error as in your case.

I explained what I did on my WIn 7 machine and although I didnt disable UAC, I still can run the GUI fine by right-clicking and run as administrator.

When I run the program normally without running it as administrator, then it still gives me same error and looks for missing nbjconf file. But when I run the program as administartor, it works absolutely fine.

xx

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Is your Windows 7  32- or 64-bit OS? There is a separate x64 folder on the install media where you can also find Java Console software. For NBU 6.5, you will need to download the full 64-bit version that came with 6.5.2 or 6.5.4 e.g. NB_6.5.4.Winx64_CD_326387.exe  ( http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH71299 )

Two more things I've done on my Windows 7 laptop:
Ensured domains admins gave me local admin rights
Disabled UAC completely (otherwise basically everything has to be right-clicked and Run as Administrator).

mrinal_sarkar62
Level 6

Hi,

Is the error on the CLI prompt is commimg some thing like this while logging:-

"..........................

java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect
ServerInterface:Logon: java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect
ServerInterface:Logon - Initial host:null, Current host:XXXX-PC, Firewall Env:
true, MS port:13722, VNETD:13724, m_intPort:0, localPort:0, range use:false
Can not connect to the NB-Java authentication service via VNETD on XXXX-PC on
port 13724.  Exception:
java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect

.........................."

Then..the problem is not with the NBU.

Thanks.

a_la_carte
Level 5

For every different version of the NBU console, you need to make sure that you should not end up installing all the three versions on the same default path C:/ProgramFiles/Veritas.

You need to give different folder path or local drive path for every different version of console you are trying to install.( For eg. you can provide C:/ for one version, D:/ for another version & so on.)

Also, please make sure you have latest patches for the Java console s/w installed also for every version be it 6.5, 7.0.1 or 7.1.

I recently resolved the same issue with my machine running win 7 and giving exactly same errors.

Try doing this and see if that works.

Thanks

mrinal_sarkar62
Level 6

Hi,

There is known issue.

New security architecture in Windows Vista and Windows 7 called User Access Control.

I found a technote that may help u understand the issue:-

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH63372

Thanks.

Vellanguli_Maga
Level 3

You would need to add your Laptop's hostname to all the Master Server's host Properties > Addtional Server list.

Thanks,

VM

Marianne
Level 6

NO Server entries needed for Java Console. Only needed for Windows Admin Console.

Kisad
Level 5

Thanks all for responding.

1.I'm using Windows 7 32 Bit.

2.I have installed all three GUI's  in separate folders  under C:\Program Files\Veritas. Thats how I had installed in WinXP and it used to work like a charm.Not sure if Win7 acts differently.

3.I have admin rights.Can and have installed other softwares in my laptop

4. Have Disabled  UAC completely now.Thanks Marianne for the Tip :)

5.Unistalled and reinstalled the GUI's.Havent helped.

6.The CLI shows the  error (see attachment) when I try to run the GUI (7.1)

7.I'm using the same host file in my laptop which I was using in my earlier lappy.

I'm at a loss as to what could be the problem.Has anyone using Windows 7 faced similar  or any issue for that mater while using/installing Netbackup GUI's.

.If you all can think of somthing else please kindly suggest.I might have seek help from NBU support if I cant fix it by tommorrow.

Thanks Again for the responses

Marianne
Level 6

Is Windows Firewall disabled on your laptop?

"

Invalid value for NB-Java configuration option PBX_PORT: null. Status: 520

Check/verify that these lines are present in  <install-path>\java\setconf.bat:

SET VNETD_PORT=13724
SET PBX_PORT=1556

I find it 'odd' that the startup process is looking for nbjconf when setconf.bat is used on Windows:

NB-Java configuration file, C:\\Program Files\\Veritas\\Netbackup Java 7.1\\java
\\nbjconf, does not exist. Status: 521
Default configuration values will be used.

Also check <install-path>\java\nbjava.bat - the 1st two line must look like this:

cd /d %~dp0
call setconf.bat

a_la_carte
Level 5

Even in my case, it was also looking for nbjconf file and giving exactly the same error as in your case.

I explained what I did on my WIn 7 machine and although I didnt disable UAC, I still can run the GUI fine by right-clicking and run as administrator.

When I run the program normally without running it as administrator, then it still gives me same error and looks for missing nbjconf file. But when I run the program as administartor, it works absolutely fine.

xx

Kisad
Level 5

Hi Marianne,

Windows Firewall has been disabled by the Local IT Admin.Both setconf.bat  &  nbjava.bat have the entries that you have mentioned.

HI as@bs,

Thanks for the suggestion. The GUI's work when i execute them by right-clicking and run as administrator.However i get error when I try to access Policies Tab (see atachment).Do you also get the error?

Atleast  I can login now and see the Activity Monitor.

I find it strange that we should have to do that as I did install the GUI software by right-clicking and run as administrator.Thanks.

a_la_carte
Level 5

Is your server "hcmnbsu1" as given in the snapshot a master server?

I am not getting any error at all once I started running as admin everytime, I can browse every section of the GUI just fine.

I am not sure why are you getting this error. Do you experience the same or any other error while browsing to other sections of the GUI also? or just this policy section only?

Looks more of connection issue to me now..!!!

Kisad
Level 5

Its working today. so i gues it was indeed a temporary connectivity issue yesterday.

Thank All for helping in resolving the problem.I'm marking as@bs post as the solution.