cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup Master Server in Solaris 10 non-global zone

Miro_m
Level 3
Hi All,

I just read a document about Netbackup 6.X support on Solaris 10 non-global zones.
The doc is: http://support.veritas.com/docs/315561

All NetBackup components, supported with Solaris 10 physical servers, are supported in a Solaris 10 global zone. Local zone support is limited to standard client, database agents, master server, disk media server and Bare Metal Restore client (as described in the Bare Metal Restore Administrators Guide).

I highlighted it with bold that according to this document the master server without the media server is now supported in Solaro 10 non-global (local) zone.
Is this correct?
Do I need any special version of 6.5 to be able to install master in local zone?
Has anybody done this before or maybe running on such a config?
All replies appreciated.

Thanks,
Miro.

8 REPLIES 8

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Wow, I had no idea this was supported.  But it looks like we do, given the instructions later in that TechNote:

(quoting begins)
NetBackup Master Server or Media Server (disk backups only) can be installed in a local zone (whole root).
The ICS Installer will not allow installation of any package on a local zone.  Therefore, all the packages will have to be installed manually (in order):

1) To install ICSCO and PBX:
# pkgadd -d ./infrastructure_core_services/pkgs VRTSicsco VRTSpbx

2) To install AT:
# pkgadd -d ./infrastructure_core_services/pkgs VRTSat

3) To install AZ:
# pkgadd -d ./infrastructure_core_services/pkgs VRTSaz
(quoting ends)

So it looks like there are some hoops to jump through, but it appears possible!

What I would add is, if you don't need them, you don't HAVE to install Authentication and Authorization.  (You definitely DO need to do step 1 up there, though.)

Good luck!  Let us know how it goes!

Miro_m
Level 3
Hi CRZ,

Thanks for your reply. Actually I totally forgot about this posting so I haven't checked since.
As I have your reply now I will do  test installation. I'll update you after I've completed.

Thanks and appreaciate your help,
Miro.

Miro_m
Level 3
Hi CRZ,

Finally I had the time to test. Here's what I've done:

1. Created a full root zone (used create -b in zonecfg)
2. Manually installed with pkgadd the packages VRTSicsco VRTSpbx inside the zone
3. from the global zone I have installed VRTSat and VRTSaz (must be installed from there as the pkginfo has SUNW_PKG_ALLZONES=true)
4. then I've executed the install script from the CD

Everything was installed properly and I've choosen the local zone name as the master server and the EMM database name. When it asked me about the media server I have answered no, not configure any at the time.
After installation finished successfully I managed to connect to the master server using jnbSA.

I will now configure a media server and check backup and restore. I expect everything to work perfectly.

Thanks for the help!

Cheers,
Miro.

yktglr
Level 0
Hi miro,

could your master server manage to robot or tape in non-global zone?

( NetBackup Master Server or Media Server (disk backups only) can be installed in a local zone (whole root). )

Miro_m
Level 3
Hi yktglr,

Sorry for late answer I've just got way too busy with other things.
Unfortunately you can't control the robot from the zone. Physical devices shouldn't be managed by a non-global zone. You can mount a raw disk, but I'm afraid you wont be able to do SCSI reservations on any tape drive (to lock the drive). So configuring disk stage also doesn't make sense.
You should use a separate Media Server.

Cheers,
Miro.

Miro_m
Level 3
Hi Crz,

I'm not sure if you're still reading this post, but I would have an interesting question.
Ok we have the Master running in a zone. Is it supported to configure this zone to be a Sun Cluster "Failover local zone"?
The Failover zone switches from one node to another. So it takes all the disks and IPs with itself. So theoretically this should work without running the cluster_config script. As the hostname and the master server name will always be the same, as well the IP address.

Thanks,
Miro.

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Hi Miro,

I honestly have no clue what the answer to that question is, but it's awfully interesting.  :)

In theory, and assuming I'm correctly interpreting what you've said, NetBackup wouldn't see your master as part of a cluster - just as a "normal" server - so I would speculate that you're right about the failover behaviour...NetBackup wouldn't know any different, so why should it act any different?

I must stress "in theory" here, though.  I'm awful with hypotheticals and can't give you any definitive answer one way or the other.

I would tend to think this DOES fall under a supported configuration, however - if we support a master in the local zone, this configuration would seem to fall under that.

(DISCLAIMER: I may be totally wrong.  Please do not take my word for it.  If you really need to know, please open a case with support and get it in writing from an authoritative source.)

If anybody's tried this, please speak up and let us know how it's working (or not working)!

Miro_m
Level 3
Hi Crz,

As far as I know the failover zone is a cluster resource on it's own. I might be able to test this setup later this month, but I'm not sure of that yet.
Anyway if somebody feels interested in this, then the sun cluster data service docs for HA containers (zones) can be found here.
The thing is that this data service agent has two options of which you can choose to monitor and manage applications inside the zone. One option is to use scripts like init scripts and the other is to use solaris Service Management Facility. Either way we have the chance to check for ports or any command outputs like bpdbjobs which can idicate us if netbackup is up and running so we can make decisions whether to fail over or not. Also we can provide start and stop scripts eg to run bp.kill_all if we want to stop netbackup, before we would failover the zone.
In this setup I think NBU (as you mentioned) doesn't see the difference between a failover zone or a single local zone as everything moves together.

Hope I can try it out soon. If I have any news I'll update you.
Thanks again Crz, I appreciate your input.

Cheers,
Miro.