cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup Vault issues

Toddman214
Level 6

I am replacing SLP with Vault for duplication of data from DataDomain to tape. The SLP duplication simply could not keep up in our environment, and would queue up to 2000 jobs at once. We back up approx 250 physical servers and 850 vm servers, using 7.1.0.4 on Windows 2008R2 with 1 master and 2 media servers, and two dell tape libraries with 6 drives each.

I have set up my Vault profile (2 of them), one to duplicate data that we want to hold on tape for 7 weeks, and the other to duplicate the data we hold on tape for 7 years. We are contractually obligated to our customers that all data gets duplicated to tape, and sent off site daily. I have created the Vault policy, and added the two profiles into it, and I set the profiles to grab and duplicate data backed up between the last 24 hours up to 0 hours. 

I watched the vault policy kick off at 7 am this morning, it ran for about 15 seconds, and completed with status 0??? That should have kicked off duplications for multiple tb's of data, as we backup  about 38tb of total data per night. Being an admitted newb to using Vault for anything, can i get some suggestion as to what to check? What further info can i provide?

Thank you!

Todd

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Toddman214
Level 6

Marianne, thank you for getting back to me, but I think I just figured out what was causing it a little bit ago. I had two different profiles inside of the same Vault policy, one for 7 week retention and one for 7 year retention. For some reason, the one for the 7 year retention was taking over, and since I had no monthly_full jobs that have run within my specified backed up range, it was actually locating no new data, and finishing with status 0, with no data written. I created another Vault policy, to separate the two, kicked off the one that SHOULD have data to duplicate, and it is now duplicating batches properly. I'll monitor it, and follow-up, but my main issue which prompted me to start this discussion is resolved. ;)

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

We need to see how your Vault Profile is configured.

Please post screenshot of Selection tab as well as Duplication tab.

About SLP's - have you had a look at SLP Best Practice Guide?
Have you tried changes to default parameters in LIFECYCLE_PARAMETERS?

Toddman214
Level 6

Marianne, thank you for getting back to me, but I think I just figured out what was causing it a little bit ago. I had two different profiles inside of the same Vault policy, one for 7 week retention and one for 7 year retention. For some reason, the one for the 7 year retention was taking over, and since I had no monthly_full jobs that have run within my specified backed up range, it was actually locating no new data, and finishing with status 0, with no data written. I created another Vault policy, to separate the two, kicked off the one that SHOULD have data to duplicate, and it is now duplicating batches properly. I'll monitor it, and follow-up, but my main issue which prompted me to start this discussion is resolved. ;)

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Following on from Mariannes outstanding post - the vault.xml file is the best way to get the vault config, as it shows everything, ...

Martin