cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup and DD Over FC

traghav86
Level 5

Good Day Guys

I have configured DD over FC with Media server and wanted to run morethan 200 clients over the FC.

Is there any best practices should i use ?

DD and Media Server are zoned to same FC-Switch

is it possible to use DD over IP and FC at the same time on 1 Media server ?

DD with IP whic is FQDN of DD

and DD with FC - whcih is DFC-DDXXX

will it appear as 2 Storage servers ?

Rahul
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Yes - its a system wide limitation. The time data domain uses to build the block map for replication seems to increase exponential when the fragment size also increases.

Keep it a 50G and you are good.

View solution in original post

Thank you

Nicolai

Rahul

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Genericus
   VIP   

LOL, don't get me started on DD over FC !

What OS are you using? I am on Solaris, and it does not work well. ( not approved on my systems yet )

Based on what I have read you will define separate storage on the Data Domain, and thus separate NB storage units - DD-BOOSTIP and DD-BOOSTFC, although they can point to the same disks, and you should be able to write one and read with the other. There have been several posts about it.

Bottom line - mostly an EMC issue, not NetBackup. 

EMC DOES have limits - I think 180 streams on my systems. So you should check their docs.

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Just a addition ..

We are using both DD BOOST over IP and FC. Works well on our Linux media servers.

One thing to note - last time I checked - all replication using FC was always full volume (non-optimized) whereas IP replication was optimized.  If you don't replicate between DD system, don't bother :)

If you want to do replication, keep the NBU fragment size at 50G, larger fragment size causes very long replication times per fragment.

Dell EMC say a DD 990 can have 590 incoming data stream, but in reality the performance curve break long time before that. I doubt you will see a a performance increase going larger than 200 concurrent streams.

Hi

DD Fc configured on windows2012 Media servers.

On your point  "B storage units - DD-BOOSTIP and DD-BOOSTFC, although they can point to the same disks, and you should be able to write one and read with the other."

is it possible to create 2 Storage units ? with different name for IP and FC ?

Rahul

Hi Nicolai

Thanks for info ... is it same settings on STU where as IP and FC on backups.

or any limitations?

Rahul

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Yes - its a system wide limitation. The time data domain uses to build the block map for replication seems to increase exponential when the fragment size also increases.

Keep it a 50G and you are good.

Thank you

Nicolai

Rahul