cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup and DD Over FC

traghav86
Level 5

Good Day Guys

I have configured DD over FC with Media server and wanted to run morethan 200 clients over the FC.

Is there any best practices should i use ?

DD and Media Server are zoned to same FC-Switch

is it possible to use DD over IP and FC at the same time on 1 Media server ?

DD with IP whic is FQDN of DD

and DD with FC - whcih is DFC-DDXXX

will it appear as 2 Storage servers ?

Rahul
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Yes - its a system wide limitation. The time data domain uses to build the block map for replication seems to increase exponential when the fragment size also increases.

Keep it a 50G and you are good.

View solution in original post

Thank you

Nicolai

Rahul

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Genericus
   VIP   

LOL, don't get me started on DD over FC !

What OS are you using? I am on Solaris, and it does not work well. ( not approved on my systems yet )

Based on what I have read you will define separate storage on the Data Domain, and thus separate NB storage units - DD-BOOSTIP and DD-BOOSTFC, although they can point to the same disks, and you should be able to write one and read with the other. There have been several posts about it.

Bottom line - mostly an EMC issue, not NetBackup. 

EMC DOES have limits - I think 180 streams on my systems. So you should check their docs.

NetBackup 10.2.0.1 on Flex 5360, duplicating via SLP to Access 3350, duplicating via SLP to LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Just a addition ..

We are using both DD BOOST over IP and FC. Works well on our Linux media servers.

One thing to note - last time I checked - all replication using FC was always full volume (non-optimized) whereas IP replication was optimized.  If you don't replicate between DD system, don't bother :)

If you want to do replication, keep the NBU fragment size at 50G, larger fragment size causes very long replication times per fragment.

Dell EMC say a DD 990 can have 590 incoming data stream, but in reality the performance curve break long time before that. I doubt you will see a a performance increase going larger than 200 concurrent streams.

Hi

DD Fc configured on windows2012 Media servers.

On your point  "B storage units - DD-BOOSTIP and DD-BOOSTFC, although they can point to the same disks, and you should be able to write one and read with the other."

is it possible to create 2 Storage units ? with different name for IP and FC ?

Rahul

Hi Nicolai

Thanks for info ... is it same settings on STU where as IP and FC on backups.

or any limitations?

Rahul

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Yes - its a system wide limitation. The time data domain uses to build the block map for replication seems to increase exponential when the fragment size also increases.

Keep it a 50G and you are good.

Thank you

Nicolai

Rahul