cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup and DR

Graeme_Welsh
Level 5
hello

putting together the plans for our DR site.
Was planning on doing the following for recovering our Netbackup backups.

Install Netbackup on a DR server (attached to a standalone LTO3 drive)
use the DR generated with the catalog backup to restore the catalog
**from here on not 100% sure on what to do**
import the images on tape (via the Catlog in admin console?)
restore required data to DR servers..

any caveats/things to watch out for?
thanks
4 REPLIES 4

DavidParker
Level 6
Graeme,
Your process should work as you've listed it. Of course, there may be alternatives and ways to do things faster.
(BTW: recovering a catalog requires the use of the 'bprecover' command)

Caveats for this: Tape reading time!! Importing the Catalog and then tape images can take a LONG time.

If you can, I would look at putting your images directory on SAN disk. Ideally you could copy or just re-assign that data to the DR server. That would save you from reading the images off the tape.

Just some quick ideas; I'm sure some other folks here will have more suggestions.

Regards,
DP

Stumpr2
Level 6
I haven't done a 6.0 recovery yet. If you are doing a 5.x recovery I suggest reading up the procedure for "Protecting Large Netbackup catalogs" A high level explanation of the procedure is that you only include the master servers images on the catalog tape. All the other client images can then be done in a separate policy for a regular backup/restore procedure. Theory is that once you restore the master server then you can lay down the rest of the .../db/images/. faster catalog backups with little effect on the restore side.

Graeme_Welsh
Level 5
thanks for the tips
theres about 12gig worth of images, i take it doing a catalog restore dosent restore those images then? just the catalog info about those images, a separate import needs to be done to get those files in the images directory back?
i take it if we wanted to copy those image directories over, it would be a simple case of putting them in the 'program files\netbackup\db\images' directory? and even then, probably only the servers that need to be DRd? (file and print, exchange, some of the app servers)?

Stumpr2
Level 6
>a simple case of putting them in the 'program files\netbackup\db\images' directory

yep, thats the nice part about it. Why do 12Gb when 120 MB will suffice?Message was edited by:
Bob Stump