cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup scalibility (Maximum number of storage capacity supported)

Alamgeer_Khan
Level 4
Partner Accredited

dear friends,

I have question please let me know i would be thankful.

How much storage capacity is supported by netbackup 7.0. Please let me know the maximum limit of supported storage per master server.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CY
Level 6
Certified

I think the question should be:

What's the maximum catalog size that a given NetBackup master server can efficiently manage.

And the answer depends on:

- what physical resources you have on the NBU master server, such as server model? How many CPU (sockets and cores) and how fast? Memory size? Locally attached SCSI or SAS drives, or SAN disks (enterprise storage array or just something cheap)? And how fast is your I/O bus and HBA cards? etc.

- Your backup size and retentions, as well as how your backups are configured (do you have multi-stream enabled?  It would increase the number of image files than if you do not use multi-stream)

- how many Media servers (LAN and/or SAN FT), SAN Media servers, SAN Clients do you have?  And how many devices and media do you have?  These affect your EMM size.

So anyway there are many factors can affect your catalog size and complexity which affects your NBU master server performance.  For example, my full backup size is about 80 TB.  However we don't have many long retention backups so my catalog size is usually under 250 GB.  When I talked to Symantec/NetBackup Tech Support, the engineer didn't think it's very large.  But does that mean my NBU master server can handle 500 GB or even 1 TB catalog?  Maybe, but it's hard to say until I can test and verify. It may scale up fine to 500 GB, but may reach bottleneck at 700 GB and will need investigation to find out which component needs to be upgraded.

Make sense?

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Ed_Wilts
Level 6

You can purchase per-TB licenses but there is no limit that I'm aware of that restricts you to how much storage you can have on a master server.

CY
Level 6
Certified

I think the question should be:

What's the maximum catalog size that a given NetBackup master server can efficiently manage.

And the answer depends on:

- what physical resources you have on the NBU master server, such as server model? How many CPU (sockets and cores) and how fast? Memory size? Locally attached SCSI or SAS drives, or SAN disks (enterprise storage array or just something cheap)? And how fast is your I/O bus and HBA cards? etc.

- Your backup size and retentions, as well as how your backups are configured (do you have multi-stream enabled?  It would increase the number of image files than if you do not use multi-stream)

- how many Media servers (LAN and/or SAN FT), SAN Media servers, SAN Clients do you have?  And how many devices and media do you have?  These affect your EMM size.

So anyway there are many factors can affect your catalog size and complexity which affects your NBU master server performance.  For example, my full backup size is about 80 TB.  However we don't have many long retention backups so my catalog size is usually under 250 GB.  When I talked to Symantec/NetBackup Tech Support, the engineer didn't think it's very large.  But does that mean my NBU master server can handle 500 GB or even 1 TB catalog?  Maybe, but it's hard to say until I can test and verify. It may scale up fine to 500 GB, but may reach bottleneck at 700 GB and will need investigation to find out which component needs to be upgraded.

Make sense?

mbsmani
Level 0

i am having IBM TS3200 tape library with 2 drives with 50 slots but backup exec doesnt recognises it

how to integrate my tape library with backup exec

Skywalker1957
Level 2

That's a really good question actually. I have a master that's running NBU 7.0.1 on Solaris 10 and the catalog is around 2.1 TB and growing about 1% weekly. I have a lot of NDMP jobs that backup a ton of tiny files, and the meta-data entries in the catalog are many. I only keep a 90 day retention on that data too.

If anyone knows of a high water mark, I'd appreciate it. I'm looking into standing up another master and media server for my NDMP backups exclusively going to a Quantum robot with LTO5 drives. The NDMP data accounts for about 75% of my catalog size. My instinct it to break that out from the standard backups.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Luke