cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup upgrade from 6.4 to 6.5.3.1 on 2003 Clustered Server with Veritas Storage Foundation kills clustered services.

thannam
Level 2
We are upgrading our current netbackup infrastructure to the latest client version.

We have well over 400 servers that are primarily backed up via Veritas Netbackup.

We've noticed in upgrading Netbackup on some of our clustered servers which also run Veritas Storage Foundation v 3.3.903.0 that the netbackup upgrade from 6.4 to 6.5.3.1 the cluster fails.

It looks like the netbackup upgrade stops all symantec/veritas services not just the services used by Netbackup.

We have other clustered servers to be upgraded, has anyone heard or experienced this before?

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2

Abesama
Level 6
Partner
2003 cluster - so it's a Wintel box, right?

I haven't heard of such thing - NetBackup upgrade will stop NetBackup services, and that means the clustered resource for NetBackup will go down, yes.

If you see other clustered resources going down too, or the cluster fails over, then probably you'd need to check the dependencies configuration on your cluster - possibly (my wild guess here) other resources depend on NetBackup, or the whole cluster is configured to fail over if NetBackup resource fails?

Well if you are in a position to affort a "test" then do it again and check the installation(upgrade) progress log in the %TEMP% directory.

Also, if you have that many servers, you should have NetBackup support contract - call Symantec, you are paying them for support, so get support out of them.

If you are not sure about support contract detail, you can still give it a try - once you call them, give them the location/address of your server / datacentre, they can find out if you have a support contract or not.
:-)

Abe

thannam
Level 2
 Yes it's a Windows Cluster

We have support contracts with Symantec, before l went down that route l was wondering if anyone else had experienced this problem before?

It seems like a strange and major flaw when using Netbackup and Storage Foundation together. 

I'll have to wait for the window of down time to test it, l'll report back on this post once that's happened.