cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Install - Teething Problems

Kevin_Gallagher
Level 3
We have just installed the following system and have a few teething problems. Can anyone suggest where the cause of the problem lies or what to look for. My Problem is that one drive on one of the tape libraries(same one each time) tries to mount a tape which can take upto 15mins then moves the tape to another drive before completing the job. Initially the drive status would be set to PEND-TLD. We found that vmoprcmd -crawlreleasebyname couldn't change the state of the drive. However the drive state now gets set to DOWN-TLD. Before the job starts the command scan reports the robot and drive ok. During the attempted job the command scan on the master server fails to report the drive causing the problem. On the media servers the command allways reports correctly. The drive status using CLI reports the drive as ok and I can move tapes in and out of the drive. My networking guys tell me that there are no errors being reported on the line. Both Tape Libraries are on different sites, connected by FC and backup the other site. Am I looking for more than a simple dodgy drive even though it isn't reporting any errors.

System:
NetBackup 6.0 MP4
1 x Master Server (Windows 2003 Standard Edition SP1)
2 x Media Server (Windows 2003 Standard Edition SP1)
Assorted SAN Media Severs (Netware, Exchange and Redhat)
Assorted Clients
2 x HP EML E-Series (with four Ultrium 960 drives) connected by Fibre Channel.
2 REPLIES 2

Joseph_Correia
Level 5
Partner Accredited
Kevin,
Not familiar with your library...are the drives direct fiber attached or is there a fiber bridge in there?

If the drives are direct fiber have you tried a new cable? Have you checked your zoning to be sure there isn't a problem with the port?

If there is a bridge in that library you should check there as well to be sure there isn't a config problem.

Are you using ROBTEST to check functionality with NBU?

Kevin_Gallagher
Level 3
The drives are fibre attached.
We have changed the fibres to no vail.
I am advised that the zoning is ok
I will have used CLI to test the health of the drive. I will use robtest to check functionality.