cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No robotic libraries were found on this device host.

Andrew_Ribeiro
Level 3

Hello,

I am having a problem setting up a new Netbackup 6.5.1 master server to replace the aging production server, both servers have identical names (Production is always turned off while I am trying to do the following). Detais about both will be posted below. After OS installation I install Netback 6.5 and then patch it with the 6.5.1 update. I then try to add the drives and library at this point the drives will add fine but I have tried three differnent ways to add the robotic library (Adic Scalar i2000) and all have failed. Now to a some info on our environment and what I have tried.

Production:

Dell PowerEdge 2650

Windows Server 2003 Standard x32

Netbackup 6.5.1

Connected via SAN to Adic Scalar i2000 and 3 IBM LTO3 drives.

New Server:

Dell PowerEdge 2950

Windows Server 2003 Enterprise x64

Netbackup 6.5.1

Connected via SAN to the same ADIC Scalar i2000 and 3 IBM LTO3 drives.

I have tried using the Wizard to add the devices and it only can see the drives. I have tried using the GUI and same results (Right Click on Robots and select New then select Browse). I have also tried using tpconfig to add the library which failed as well.

The library shows up just fine in Windows Device Manager.

Thank you very much for your help!

Thanks,

Andrew

7 REPLIES 7

RAPHAEL_F_CARVA
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified

Are you sure devices are properly configured on SO? Cause Scalar i2000 is a supported device either for SCSI and FC connections.

Ensure devices (robotic controller and all drives) appears on SO's Device Manager and are with drivers applied (you will need to use the vendors drivers as NBU doesn't  have drivers for Windows 64 bit). Also, are you using Multi LUN, if yes, be sure your device supports that (as some devices have two FC ports for each drive but you can only connect one port at time, like MSL4048 for example) and configure Multi LUN properly using robtest.

Hope it helps. 

Nova
Level 4

Hi,

I am having the exact same problem with a Scalar i2K. Just wondering, did you ever make any progress on solving this? I've been looking at this for days without successs.

thanks

Andrew_Ribeiro
Level 3

I did finally figure it out. I had to make a change to the Scalar I2K. I am not at work right now but tommorow I will look up what I did to fix it and post here for you.

Nova
Level 4

I took a look through the Admin Console, but could not see what to fiddle with. I wondered about LUN Mapping but wasn't sure.

What you describe sure sounds like the exact same thing as i have. I use the generic GenChanger to configure it (don't use Quantum driver) and of course the Symantec tape driver for the IBM Ultrium-TD3 drive. Here's my story:

Everything worked great for months, doing VCB backups.

Was on the master server configuring a new drive to add to the already configured robot on the remote Windows 2003 media server.

Something went wrong, the drive never got added, but I was able to do a backup with the drive that was already there.

A fibre cable connecting the media server HBA to the switch went bad, the robot and drive were both lost.

Can discover the drives no problem, but running \volmgr\scan.exe or Configure Storage Devices wizard just give me the tape drive.

Everything looks great in Windows Device Manager, just like it did before this all started.

Been without backups on some clients for five or six days, so I would sure appreciate hearing your solution.

regards,

J

servertil the robot disappeared after a fibre cable that the Windows

Andrew_Ribeiro
Level 3

What I found was that the new server was mapped to the control LUN and not the Locical Library LUN. Just in case you are not aware of how to do that I have placed to steps below.

1) Login to ADIC Console

2) Navigate to Setup -- Device -- Access -- FC Host.

3) Pick the device you are having problems with from the list or add it to the list. After you have the device slected click on LUN Mapping.

4) Add the Control LUN as well as the Logical Library LUN to the device (Left side).

If you have any more questions let me know and I will try to help you out.

Nova
Level 4

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for getting back to me, it is appreciated.

I have gone down that path, and that is where I thought you might be headed.

The interesting thing is that we have two very similar Netbackup enviroments, both using a Scalar i2K. I tend to write rather long messages, so please bear with me!

Environment 1 - Solaris Master/Media server serving as robotic control host, separate Solaris Media server which is is a device host for the robot (same robot obviously as the master/media server has)

Environment 2 - Solaris Master/Media server serving as robotic control host, separate Windows Media server which is is a device host for the robot (same robot obviously as the master/media server has)

Environment 2 media server is the one giving me trouble. Before the incident which caused this robot device problem, the only ADIC internal device mapped to an external LUN was the '0 Control LUN'. The actual library was never mapped, it always remained in bolded type on the right side of the table.

This coincides with the way Environment 1's ADIC FC Host LUN Mapping is laid out.

The media server FC Host there is also mapped only to the '0 Control LUN'.

I explain this working fine just because the media servers in each environment does not control the library, the Solaris master/media server does. As well, in the case of my problematic Windows media server, the library itself was never mapped, as mentioned.

I do not have I/O blades installed. The library and each drive is zoned to the media server so it can be discovered as a device, and each drive individually cabled to the switch, but no LUN mapping for the drives was ever done in FC Hosts when the library was installed by ADIC tech. This is peripheral information, however, and should not have anything to do with my problem, I'm pretty sure.

In your case, I would say that adding the library itself in the FC Hosts LUN Mapping fixed your problem because this new master server was the robotic control host. Not sure if you have any separate media servers configured under your new master, but I am absolutely sure that you would need to map only the Control LUN on 0 on these to have them work.

If you have any thoughts or comments, I would love to hear them. I think I am ready to get a Quantum tech involved on this one. My problem is very strange, and it seems to be due to some kind of problem that is not readily apparent.

Thanks again, Andrew. Very nice of you to take the time to follow up.

Nova
Level 4

One thing I learned to do, which I had not done on any Netbackup servers is to use persistent binding. Not doing this caused me the problem after the fibre cable died and the devices were lost.

After setting that up on the Windows HBA using SanSurfer, I've got my robot and my first drive back in business again.