cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OST Question

Casey_King
Level 6
I've been doing some reading about OST, and am looking at getting into 6.5.x very soon....we are looking at dedupe quite heavily and OST looks like a great way to implement a dedupe product...or maybe we just go with PureDisk...not sure yet.  The question I have is:

As part of the OST package, is there a way for it to see if a package has already been deduped before it sends it over the network to be deduped or discarded as in a source based deduplication method?
2 REPLIES 2

schmaustech
Level 5
I'll take a stab at this, but if I am wrong I hope someone corrects me :)

The example I will use is OST with a DataDomain.

My understanding is that when using a DataDomain, the block (of data) must be sent from the client to the OST device (DataDomain) before it can be determined if the block is identical to one already stored on the DataDomain from a previous backup.  If the block is indentical, it basically stores a pointer, if not, it saves the data.

Now Puredisk I believe can do this, because you can install a PureDisk client on the client your backing up.  The client determines what needs to get sent across the wire, and thus if a previous backup sent that block, it does not send it this time around.

Regards,

Benjamin Schmaus

Deepak_W
Level 6
Partner Accredited
@King
read through the below mentioned link which will clear your queries on PureDisk.

This TN explains difference between software and hardware based deduplication...

https://www4.symantec.com/Vrt/offer?a_id=55068

hope this helps you...