cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle Database Enterprise Edition v10.2.0.4 runing on HP-UX 11iV3 cluster active passive

JJ58
Level 4
Partner Certified

Hello

Oracle Database Enterprise Edition v10.2.0.4

the customer do not want to link Oracle RMAN to Netbackup so backup will be done in cold maner

please list for me the steps to take the backup ( agent,configuration ...)

any special configuration to be made since it is cluster server ?

Regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

You'll need to configure multiplexing, or multistreaming based on your environment.

You can create one policy with multiple servers in the client list (assuming the file list is similar)

You can have more than one STREAM from the file start by adding the NEW_STREAM attribute to the file selection.

Tick "allow multiple datastreams" on the general attribute of the policiy - This will enable all the clients (with their files) to start at the same time.

You'll need to configure the max concurrent drives setting on your storage unit

You'll need to configure the media multiplex setting on your schedule in your policy.

The amount of total streams produced by your clients (server) will be determined by the amount of STREAMS configure in the policy.

The amount of drives used by the policy will be determined by the amount specified on the storage unit, and the media multiplex setting on the schedule.

You should also increase "max jobs per client" value in the master server's host properties.

You can find details on all these settings in the admin guides.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Marianne
Level 6

You cannot use the agent if the customer do not want to link Oracle RMAN.

Options:

1. The dba will use rman to write backup to shared disk. You can then use normal filesystem backup (Standard policy) to backup the output. Specify the virtual hostname in Client selection to ensure successful backup no matter where the cluster is active.
  2. Shutdown Oracle and do normal filesystem backup (Standard) of databases. You will need to use cluster commands to offline Oracle to prevent cluster failover and to ensure that disk resources and virtual name remains online. The Client name will then be used once again to backup the shared drive.

Any particular reason why customer does not want to link Oracle RMAN? We have lots of customers using the agent in clustered and non-clustered environments.

JJ58
Level 4
Partner Certified

thank you,no reason for now why the client want to perform a cold backup,anyway the discussion still on the first level and maybe he will change his mind,

one other question in case we still using cold backup on cluster,do i need to take backup of active and passive node or just i take backup from virtual node ??

Regards

Marianne
Level 6

Just the active node - that's why I suggested that you use the virtual hostname in the Client List. That way it will automatically backup the active node.

Turls
Level 6

JJ58, if Marianne's comment got you the answer you were looking for, please mark it as a solution.

JJ58
Level 4
Partner Certified

thanks marianne

just one more favor,could you please attach for the policy steps required ,i mean i have one tape libarary and different servers with different oracle databases that i want to perform backup on them,i want to make these backup jobs to run in parallel

could you help pls in this ?

Regards

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

You'll need to configure multiplexing, or multistreaming based on your environment.

You can create one policy with multiple servers in the client list (assuming the file list is similar)

You can have more than one STREAM from the file start by adding the NEW_STREAM attribute to the file selection.

Tick "allow multiple datastreams" on the general attribute of the policiy - This will enable all the clients (with their files) to start at the same time.

You'll need to configure the max concurrent drives setting on your storage unit

You'll need to configure the media multiplex setting on your schedule in your policy.

The amount of total streams produced by your clients (server) will be determined by the amount of STREAMS configure in the policy.

The amount of drives used by the policy will be determined by the amount specified on the storage unit, and the media multiplex setting on the schedule.

You should also increase "max jobs per client" value in the master server's host properties.

You can find details on all these settings in the admin guides.