cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with NDMP and Filer

Altria
Level 3

I am having issues with NBU and Netapp filer. BTW Windows 2003 (master/media server NBU 6.5) directly attached to tape lib backing up Netapp filer 270)

Here are the steps taken:

1. I enabled NDMP on the filer
2. Added host on server running NBU
3. Provided global credentials (which allows me to add host)
4. created backup policy (NAStest)

I keep getting error 58. I am also getting cannot connect on socket 25 when going to Clients>NAS>properties, but I am told this does not work for the filer due to missing agent (not sure if that is true)

I have completed steps mentioned in the following link with success, so i am not sure where the problem resides:
http://www.symantec.com/business/support/knowledge_base_results.jsp?SearchTerm=Status+Code+58&pid=15143&content=all

I have done set_ndmp_attrib -verify, with the proper results (For some reason when I do -probe nothing happens, not sure about that either).

When lookiing at logs on the filer for ndmp, they are all blank. i am assuming this is the correct as no connection from NBU has ever been made.
There arent any firewalls/port blocks in place as I have gone through the networking troubleshooting many times. It seems no matter what I do I simply cannot connect to the filer through NDMP but I am able to browse the network, map drive (by letter and UNC). Are there any other setting that need to be done for the connection to occur, for example on the properties of master/media server?

TIA

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

1. Is policy set up as NDMP policy type?
2. NDMP license has been added (I presume this will be the case!)

"I am also getting cannot connect on socket 25 when going to Clients>NAS>properties" - this will be the case as you cannot install the client software on this kit.

set_ndmp_attr -probe will pick up any tape devices 'locally' on the filer, if you haven't got any it won't report them.

***EDIT***
You could double-check your procedures in the NDMP Admin Guide, but they are pretty straight-forward.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

1. Is policy set up as NDMP policy type?
2. NDMP license has been added (I presume this will be the case!)

"I am also getting cannot connect on socket 25 when going to Clients>NAS>properties" - this will be the case as you cannot install the client software on this kit.

set_ndmp_attr -probe will pick up any tape devices 'locally' on the filer, if you haven't got any it won't report them.

***EDIT***
You could double-check your procedures in the NDMP Admin Guide, but they are pretty straight-forward.

MattS
Level 6
Few things to check:

-Is there a NDMP storage unit setup?
-What does storage show mc and storage show tape commands produce on the filer?

I am using the method that allows the NetApp to write directly to the tape drives.  So i might be off with my questions if you are handing off communication to the tape drives to your media server.

Altria
Level 3

I finally got the backup working. It seems that the policy type switched from NDMP to other. Thanks Matt as you clued me into checking that once again in the policy. Now I am having trouble doing a restore. How is this done via NBU to the filer?

TIA

MattS
Level 6

I just use the Backup Archive and Restore in the NB admin console.  Select NDMP and the netapp as the source and destination.  Also make sure to change the "Browse Directory" from /root/ to whatever you need.

Let us know how it goes.

Matt

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
as Matt says - set the filer to be the source & destination & also ensure 'Policy type for restore' is set to NDMP.

One thing to note, if your source is a snapshot you will have to "Restore to a different location" as snapshots are obviously read-only.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
"Thanks Matt as you clued me into checking that once again in the policy."  Really??

Altria
Level 3
Sorry....about my last post I want to give credit to Andy.....but you both have been equally helpful and responsive. I will try to test restore and let you know how it goes....
Thanks alot....

Altria
Level 3

I apologize....responding in haste....

Altria
Level 3
You guys have been great....everything is working as expected!
Thanks again...

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

Altria
Level 3
An additional post:

Now tht I have NDMP running how about mapping drive letter or UNC backups and restores? Any specific license requirement. I noticed I cannot see any mapped drives even when changing the NBU client service to start with a 'priviledged' user to that mapped share.

According to some reading, would this relate to the fact that i am tring to map a CIFS share? I see that it is mentioned that I may need some license on the Netapp side as well as NBU? Is this correct?

TIA

Altria
Level 3
Never mind......thanks again...

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
whatever your additional issue was, you've managed to sort it?