cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Push client install

Jan-Olof_Erikss
Level 5
Hi,
I have NB6.0 MP3 as a NB server win2003.
If I do a remote (push) from that server to a windows client, what happends?

Is it ok to do a remote install at all?
If it is, will the client also be at MP3?

/joe
9 REPLIES 9

zippy
Level 6
Jan,

UNIX remote class installes do not require a reboot, but as we all know, anthing you put on a Billy server requires a reboot, so you better off doing the install from the console.

Just my 2 cents.

JD

Lance_Hoskins
Level 6
I love Billy Servers.

As for the reboot, only if you're installing/upgrading VSP do you need a Billy Reboot. If you're not installing it or have no intention to use it, you don't need a reboot up front.

zippy
Level 6
Lnace,

Why does the install ask you if you wnat to reboot now or later after the app is installed?

Hummm...... this is a test.......

JD

Lance_Hoskins
Level 6
Poor programming? :)

Actually, I believe it's because VSP is installed by default and most people don't go through the custom install, therefor have VSP installed which requires a reboot to function correctly.

Do I pass?

Dennis_Strom
Level 6
We create an ISO image on the network and install on Billy servers from there. I also recommned a reboot after the install. Our Billy admin who has a wall of certifications always does a reboot after he does the install.

AKopel
Level 6
For NBU 6.0 you do not require a reboot (except as Lance stated for fixes to VSP)
For NBU 5 or less, you DO require a reboot.

AK

AKopel
Level 6
And to answer the original question...
The client will NOT be at MP3 after doing a remote install. You need to install the BASE client, and then install MP3 after that.

Instead of a remote install, I prefer scripting this method (read my post at the end)
You can then use PSEXEC to remotely execute the script:
http://forums.symantec.com/discussions/thread.jspa?threadID=67071

AK

Jan-Olof_Erikss
Level 5
Well, at least somebody who answered the original question.

But it�s allways nice to read all your comments.

/Thanks

zippy
Level 6
Dont worrie Yan I'll be answering you ? for some time to come!