cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re-Directed restore for Netapp

chrislogo
Level 5
 I have a direct attached SCSI Tape Drive to a Netapp Filer , if I remove that tape drive can a do a legacy restore for that filer using a netbackup media server via LAN ?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Deepak_W
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I see that you have connected tape drive directly to NetApp filer (Local NDMP).

One rule to be remembered for NDMP devices that you can restore NDMP data to only NDMP devices.

For Example - you cannot restore NetApp NDMP backup data to ant windows host.

In your case you want to remove the locally attached tape drive and connect the same to NBU media server.
You will be able to do a redirected restore of your data to your Netapp storage or even any other NDM enabled device within your network.

WARNING: Local NDMP backup are faster than Remote NDMP backups. You are removing locally attached tape drive from Netapp and attaching it to media server, that means you are migrating from local NDMP backup to remote NDMP backup.

You will need to create new storage unit and reconfigure the policies to use this new storage unit.

Hope this helps.

--
Deepak W 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Deepak_W
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I see that you have connected tape drive directly to NetApp filer (Local NDMP).

One rule to be remembered for NDMP devices that you can restore NDMP data to only NDMP devices.

For Example - you cannot restore NetApp NDMP backup data to ant windows host.

In your case you want to remove the locally attached tape drive and connect the same to NBU media server.
You will be able to do a redirected restore of your data to your Netapp storage or even any other NDM enabled device within your network.

WARNING: Local NDMP backup are faster than Remote NDMP backups. You are removing locally attached tape drive from Netapp and attaching it to media server, that means you are migrating from local NDMP backup to remote NDMP backup.

You will need to create new storage unit and reconfigure the policies to use this new storage unit.

Hope this helps.

--
Deepak W 

chrislogo
Level 5
 We are going to disk based backups and we will configure 1 common media server for legacy tape restores for all our filers on the site which previously had local attached tape drives